Heart Disease Community
Pinching - pulsating chest pain

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pinching - pulsating chest pain

last November, i started getting this slight pain in my chest, it was a slight discomfort (pinching- pulsating pain like) every now and then, i went to the (school infirmary) and i was told that it was most likely muscular or something like that, the pain persisted (i'm not sure if it became stronger, or was it just me paying more attention) so i went back in January this year for further testing, the doctor asked me about family history, ran blood and an ekg tests and he said that he does not see anything wrong....so that was comforting, but at the same time, i started noticing that the pain is more obvious while laying down, or while bent over, where i feel a couple of pulsating, pinching feelings right under my breast bone...i was 100% convinced that was going to die...so i went back to the doctor again and he said we should go for an echo test, we did that (before the test i felt that these are my last few days alive)........the test came back normal...so he convinced me that I'm ok, and that most likely it is musco-skeletal....me being at peace with lasted only for a couple of weeks (yet the symptoms were still there)..basically i go to bed at night and get this pinching pain in chest...so i went back again, he thought it is time to look for something else, so he did a chest x-ray to look for anything else.....nothing every thing looks the way it should........yesterday, i had another panic- near death experience,,,,,, i really know that the mind could play games with you, but still there is something there that is just not right? what could it be ? angina ?  blockage? valve problems? i have no other symptopms ........
this is terrifying and at the worst time ever in my life...
I'm an international graduate - student , 31 years old, active ( i run a couple of miles at least 2-  3) times a week, a little over weight since i spend my time sitting on my computer writing my thesis....no family history....... i can't sleep at night any more, i feel better when i elevate my torso on a couple of pillows....
this is a nightmare.......

Avatar n tn
Hello
I can relate with you here - have you ever heard of costochondritis? If not look it up on the web this is what i suffered with and i went through the same tests as you ecg echo bloods and chest x rays and like you i was convinced i was dying there was something that the doctors had not picked up on etc.
If you can relate to the info you find on costochondritis then go back and suggest this to your doctor they should be able to give you something to ease it.
I think you can be sure your heart is ok after all you have had plenty of tests and seen the doctor plenty of times and you really have to believe them if they say your ok. Feel free to ask anymore questions. Good Luck
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the reply....

i am familiar with costochondritis, but i thought that you should to able to find some sore spots by pressure to diagnose that ? i feel my pain as internal and it is scaring the hell out of me....
i just came back from the infirmary and the doctor said he has no answer for me and maybe i should go see a specialist....although he does not think that they will find anything. i am actually quite afraid of going also...not to mention the huge costs ......this is really devastating....
Avatar n tn
Yes there are sore spots with costo sometimes i could find these myself and sometimes i could only feel them when the doctor pressed, i guess they know exactly where to press and how hard.
Why not give the specialist a try? I guess by specialist you mean a cardiologist? I saw one and although nothing was found it was a relief seeing one as these people look at hearts all day every day therefore they really are the guys to see if you think something might be wrong.
Also i know its unbeliveable but anxiety does cause pains like your describing its something ihave been going through since the costo and even after i got rid of it and it took me a long time to accept its not my heart and it is just the anxiety. Especially the more you worry, the more you bring on the feelings its a vicious circle.
I am no doctor so dont take my word for it but its just some things to consider
Avatar n tn
MY FATHER IS GETTING PINCHING-PULSATING PAIN IN THE HEART,HIS FACE BECOMES VERY PALE,HE FEELS GIDDINESS AND PALPITATION IN HEART.HE HAD A BYPASS IN 2000.

ECHO CARDIOGRAM WAS DONE ON 30/MARCH/2007  WITH FINDINGS OF SMALL ANTERIOR AORTIC ANEURYSM MEASURING 2.7 * 2 CM,(AORTA MEASURES 5.1 CM AT THE SITE OF ANEURYSM). MARKED ATHEROMA IN ARCH GRADE- IV NO MOBILE ELEMENTS .GRADE III ATHEROMA IN DESCENDING AORTA. NORMAL LV SIZE AND FUNCTION. NO INTRA CARDIAC THROMBI .

PRESENTLY PATIENT IS ASYMPTOMATIC WITH CONTROLLED LEVELS OF BLOOD PRESSURE AND DIABETES ON TREATMENT.

OPINION NEEDED REGARDING THE INCIDENTAL FINDINGS OF THE PSEUDO ANEURYSM OF ASCENDING AORTA AND GRADE - IV ATHEROMA IN ARCH OF AORTA.AS THE PATIENT IS ASYMPTOMATIC.
Avatar n tn
I've been getting this same pain as you described.
I have get the pinching sensation maybe 2 times a day. And shortly
afterwards I feel a little dizzy, unfocused. Then about an hour later I feel normal again. This feling has been going on for about 3 weeks.  I'm not sure  what has caused it.  I often carry a lot of groceries on my backpack and I wonder if that is triggering the sensation.?
Avatar n tn
im 21 years old 160 pound.  i get exect pains since 3 months i got every single test done on me and everything ok thats what the doctor said and i still get them i hate it i feel like im goin to die anytime.  every doctor i went told me that its muscle pain.
its only anxiety stress related relax your mind take a vacation
I have the exact same feeling... a pinching feeling when I'm resting.  I'm a 30 yr old female.  I know it isn't anxiety because it happens when I'm most at rest.  A lot of times, right before I fall asleep.  My EKG was normal and I just had an echo.  I haven't gotten the results yet.  My doctor said I might have cardiomyopathy, which is an enlarged heart that is weakened.  It can be a virus, but also it can be genetic, and also can be a condition that the body creates due to toxins.  I am dependent on a drug called Tramadol and the doc thinks maybe Tramadol caused cardiomyopathy.  But, other things can cause it, not just meds.  Have you ever seen the movie "Beaches"?  It is the condition that the woman dies of in the movie.   Scary.  I hope I don't have it.  I will keep you updated.  You wrote your story years ago.  I wonder what has happened since.  
I have chronic Costochondritis. It feels like a heart attack and it hurts like crazy! It hurts the worst when I lay down because it hits against the diaphram and it pulses. It feels like it's in the middle but more on the left side. I can't always feel where it's coming from because it can be from muscles in shoulders and back and under arm, etc. Lots of times it hurts to press above my breasts and under my neck. I have a pain specialist that gives me shots to help. Try using ice for 20 minutes three times a day on your middle area. Also, you shouldn't be lifting, etc. Basically to get over it is to rest and not do much. Fun huh!  Does this sound familiar with you? Nevermind, I just saw how old this is. Oh well, I will still comment for anyone else.
I also have this pain, and it makes me teary eyed because iof the pain. It hit me on and off all day today and I am very worried as I am not active, and I eat junk food while at work(Taco Bell.) I am only 18. This pain ha been going on for about 5 months now, but recently has been very persistent. When it happens, I lose my breath and it makes me feel very confused after and I often forget the task I was working on before it happens. It takes me about 5 minutes to be somewhat focused again. I am terrified but trying to stay calm. I just want to figure out what it is.
This does not sound like a heart problem, but more like cramps of the GI system (esophagus or stomach).
Go and see a doctor to get it sorted out, or at least try to eat healthy for a while and see what that brings.
I'm here for the same reason as everyone else. I've had this off and on at various times in my life, and each time they run all the usual heart tests and find nothing. I'm now 65 and having another episode for the first time in years. It's 3 or 4 painful pulses in a row just to the right of my heart, at various times throughout the day. I've been told it's probably my ribs, something about cartilage separating from bone, that could be caused by coughing too hard. I've learned that you normally only need to worry about chest pains to the left side of the heart, so I don't think I need to run to the ER, but just the same it still hurts. I took some aspirin and it diminished somewhat, but it's still there.
Avatar n tn
Esophageal spasms feel just like a crushing heart attack without dizziness or perspiring.  You will think you are dying.

I would like to say, never feel like you are bothering the doctor especially when he says he doesn't find anything.  I knew a girl who went to the doctor and they said she had anxiety and she died the next month from a heart attack with clogged arteries.  She was only 34.   So bug the hell out of the doctors...It's your life not theirs.
did this girl have a full cardio workup?