Heart Disease Community
Plaque Causes Blindness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Plaque Causes Blindness

Has this happened to anyone else?  I have a plaque in a blood vessel in my eye and have lost half the vision in my right eye.  It's uncommon, but can happen.  This happened to me last week.

Thanks, Ally
I've heard of TIA's causing temporary blindness. And I'm assuming the TIA was caused by a clot or plaque breaking loose. But never heard of your situation. Is there any chance it will clear?
Any artery in the body can become victim to atherosclerosis, so vessels supplying blood to the eyes will not be excempt. Arteries supplying the brain, liver, kidneys, pancreas, spleen, stomach, heart, arms, legs are all vulnerable.
When you lost some sight in your eye, was it a gradual thing? One would expect the vision in that eye to gradually worsen as the plaque builds up. If it was sudden , would it be correct for one to assume it was a clot or broken piece of plaque suddenly causing the occlusion? Has some of the retina actually died?
It was sudden and the damage is permanent.  No warning at all. I was told that there was plaque in the blood vessel and was told that the cell damage happens in the first few hours.  Actually, the opthamologist says that some of my vision may get better and that my left eye would have to compensate for the vision loss.  This has been so surreal and I am having a hard time accepting this.  He told me it is rare.  He only sees this maybe 3 or 4 times a year.   I am just trying to get by with the sight the way it is, but I have to wonder what is going on elsewhere. Like the dr said, it's too close to the brain and it could have been that.  He wants my cardio to know this occlusion has happened and have my carotids evaluated.

Thanks to all reponses.  Ally
From previous posts, I think you have had a heart attack and high cholesterol (?)  Are you taking aspirin and/or Plavix?  

Sorry about your vision loss.
Yes, I have had a few heart attacks, been diagnosed with unstable angina and coronary artery spasms as well.  I used to take Plavix, but decided against it and have stopped taking that.  I do take an adult aspirin a day.  I take omega 3 and vitamin e in large doses and have added coq10 to the multitude of supplements I take.  And I plan on resuming my 3 mile walks daily.  I stopped walking this past summer when Texas was hit with scorching temps.  This visoin loss is so surreal to me.  I am having a difficult time acdepting this.  Thanks for asking!  Ally
It must be hard to accept such a sudden change in your vision.

A year after multiple stent implantation I elected also to go off Plavix, and recently experienced another small MI.  My doctor suggested strongly I take Plavix again as it helps gets the blood through the small vessels that are occuded, and I'm taking it again.   I wonder if that might be something that could help prevent a repeat of your problem.  I know that some people swear by coq10, I took it for several years before I had eight stents inserted, but it obviously didn't help me a bit!