Heart Disease Expert Forum
Please help - how to heal & prevent
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Please help - how to heal & prevent

Hi,

My mom  (at the age of 47) suffered a stroke and more about 7 years ago.  Dr.'s still do not know what to call it.  it started with a migraine for 3 days and turned to a stroke.  She had one side of juguler vein completely blocked and on the other side over 60% blocked.  Causing her to have over 70% of her rain covered with blood.  She also had no iron in her system. She developed blood clots in her leg and lungs.  After over a month in the hospital, she was able to come home.  She learned to read, write, walk, talk, all over again.  If you met her today, you'd never know!  So thankful and lucky!!!

She's been on a number of meds including one for migraine prevention, lipitor (she doesn't need it for cholestrol at all) and warafin.  

This year, we learned he has an enlarged heart, left ventricle.  When she's get upset, her heart would pound with a feeling of out of her chest.  We don't quite know how this developed.  She has been dealing with her chest hurting and she's on beta blockers.  I noticed that sometimes she looks great and other times, tired.  We learned after some tests and waiting.. the enlargement doesn't appear to reduce and she has some damage.  I don't know how much.  

She's going to be 55 this year. And we are so scared, sad and upset.  The doctors have recommended exercise, and no stress.  

We really want her to live a long, happy, healthy life.  She wants the same.

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching online, everything I find, puts me in tears.

My question comes to be how can we achieve this?  What else can my mom do, how can we heal her heart?  
generally speaking, cardiac disease (and an enlarged heart) fits into 3 general categories. There is damge from blocked blood vessels that supply blood to your heart (coronary arteries), there are problems with the heart valves that can cause damage to the heart (called valvular heart disease. can be from either leaky valves or valve that do not open properly). The last category is the non-ischemic/idiopathic form (that we are unsure of the cause, or that the cause is known and not from a blocked coronary artery).
  The first step is to determine the cause as this can affect her treatment opptions. There are many medications or surgery that may help. These include beta blockers, ace-inhibitors, aldosternone antagonists, and didiuretics.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank