Heart Disease Community
Pluerisy after CABG

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pluerisy after CABG

I have had CABG surgery and was doing well week 3 when suddenly hit by severe pain.  Went to ER and they removed fluid from a pleural effusion and said I had pleurisy.  I am diabetic and they said the treatment was steroids and that I could only take Ibuprophen.   I am having to take 12 - 16 a day and the pain is still severe.  How long should it take to recover.  I am miserable.
I've had pleurisy and yes, it does hurt to breathe. I'm sorry to say I don't remember how long it took for the pain to ease up. I have asthma so some aching chest is not unusual for me. I'm surprised the doctor didn't mention some timeline like, "if you don't feel better in "x" number of days, come back in." If it's been a week, I'd recommend at least calling your doctor's office and ask the question: is it normal to take this long to feel improvement?

Also, taking that many ibuprofen a day sounds very excessive. I have a bottle of 200 mg caplets and it states clearly on the directions do not exceed 6 caplets every 24 hours. Please read the directions on your bottle to find the limit.