Heart Disease Community
Pneumonia cause of enlarged heart?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pneumonia cause of enlarged heart?

A few days ago, results of Xrays and an EKG, diagnosed pneumonia in my left lung and my heart showed to be enlarged, also.  My primary care doctor plans to arrange an appointment with a cardiologist, when a time is available.  Can the enlarged heart be caused by the pneumonia?  Will recuperation from the pneumonia correct the "heart problem?"  Am very concerned until I meet with the cardiologist.
Thank you.
-5 Comments Post a Comment
If your respriation is compromised by pneumonia, the heart will have to work harder to meet the oxygen demand.  A harder working heart can cause the left ventricle to enlarge.  If the LV is dilated from overwork, there can be a reverse of the remodeling when the load is reduced or medication to reduce the afterload (dilate vessels and sometimes reduce fluids).
Thank you very much for the response to my inquiry.  Although I'm not medical-saavy by any means, your helpful explanation clearly makes sense to me, and is more or less what I had expected, and gives me a sense of some relief.  Take care.  "Wheattop"