Heart Disease Community
Polar heart monitors

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Polar heart monitors

Hi all.  I was wondering if you could help me.  I have recently bought a Polar heart Monitor and it has an alarm when you heart rate drops below a set level ie 60bpm and another for 180bpm.  Well today when I was wearing it the alarm went off and it was showing that my pulse was 210 as I looked at the watch it went back to normal within seconds.  My question is do you think that there is something wrong with the monitor or do I have asympotmatic SVT.  I was rushing around a bit and my pulse was approx 105.  This has happened a few times now over the last few days and it's got me very worried.  I bought the monitor originally for my new exercise regime but I find that I wear it all the time - not a good thing I suppose cos it makes you paranoid as I keep on looking at it all the time.  I did try to take my pulse at the same time but I couldn't manage to look at the watch and feel my pulse at the same time - it was running fast but I'm not sure if it was 210.  BTW I also have all the usual PVC's and had all the tests available.  I am due to see my cardio on Monday but I'm really worried about this. I didn't feel dizzy or breathless just very scared.  I hope someone can help and give some advice.  Are these heart monitors realiable??
Heart monitors aren't perfect.  It could have just been a PAC that made it read high for a second, not SVT.  I have SVT and mine is pretty obvious, usually, when it's happening.  As far as I know I've been aware of all of the episodes.  I had a monitor that would show a huge number when I would have a PAC, then it would go back to normal.  I found that those things were more anxiety than they were worth for me.  Now I just exercise with a watch on, and at my peak workout I take my pulse - or if I feel symptoms of some sort.  I find it's easier on the nerves ;)
i have a polar monitor for exercise, the wrist one with the attachment that goes around your chest.. and mine does this same thing infrequently.. Its common as these types of heart monitors are not fullproof and should only be considered a generally area of heart rate and not 100% accurate.. If you have one pvc, or two pvc's in a row, the monitor will show an astronomical number for a moment, and then return to normal...

Mention it to your cardiologist, but you're right its probably best not to wear it all the time because you're going to scare yourself into a frenzy
hmmm, i've seen some goofy stuff with heart monitors.  i have a Landice cardiac treadmill that has a chest strap sensor.  it's difficult to get my heart into the 120s with the meds.  I have noticed that it will drop into 40s or 50s briefly, then pop back up to where my heart was.

i don't put alot of stock into the accuracy...i don't think the electronics can cope with such a fast change in heart rythyms.
I should mention too that I have a HR monitor on my treadmill.  The reading will generally settle eventually, but it pops all over the place - 57, 188, 43, 221, etc. before finding the right spot around 150 during my workout.  I'm pretty darn sure my heart isn't actually doing that, lol  My husband gets the same wacky readings.  Like others said, these monitors aren't perfect.  I think it might just sort of search around for your average.
So, are there any really accurate monitors out there for under $500 that can discriminate between different irregular beats?  All I have now is a good stethoscope (Littmann) with which I can hear the irregular beats but when there's too many of them I have no way of counting them.  The monitor doesn't have to be full proof but highly accurate.
Thank you so much for your responses.  I never knew (not that I know that much as you have probably guessed) that it was maybe a PAC that sent it haywire.  

I have taken all you advice onboard and taken in off and put it on my husband.  He's a good model for a guinea pig  LOL ........

And the fact that these are really not that technical pieces of equipment - like a holtor - I do have the type that you strap around your chest too.  Could well have been a glitch or a PAC - best keep it for exercise only.

Once again thanks

Debs
I also used a Polar monitor for exercise, and once or twice noticed that it was showing a high number - over 200 - for several seconds. I had no symptoms and figured it was just a glitch in the monitor. I also noticed that when I exercised at the health club occasionally the monitor would show a reading that was clearly wrong. I think it was picking up interference from other people using similar monitors in the same room.
I've been wearing a Polar Heart Rate Monitor for 2 days now, even when I sleep, and while my heart rate usually stays below 100, when I checked the summary this morning, it said my maximum heartrate was 221.  Surely that would have woke me up if that was the case, right?