Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pop in chest followed by a racing, hard heart beat

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I am a 32 year old female and four times in about the last ten years I have had an unusual occurrence. In the middle of my chest I feel a painful pop and then my heart proceeds to beat very hard and very fast. It beats so hard and fast that another person can visibly see my body bounce with every beat. The last occurrence this continue for roughly two hours before it stopped. My chest will hurt during the entire time and will be sore in that spot for days to follow. I am extremely tired and worn out for weeks to follow and experience numbness and swelling. I normally have regular, if not low heart rate, blood pressure and blood sugar levels.

Is this something to be concerned about?
It sounds like you have palpitations, or the sensation that your heart is pounding, racing, or skipping beats.

This may be a harmless condition, however without more information it is difficult to say. Your cardiologist can check an EKG or give you a Holter monitor to follow your heart rhythm continuously for several days. If indicated, an echocardiogram, or ultrasound of your heart, can provide information about your heart function, valves, and size. Also, your cardiologist may order a stress test to helpdetermine if your chest pain is related to your heart.

i experience this as well. doctors tell me that its my mitrol valve regurgitation. when the mitro valave sticks too long.