Heart Disease Expert Forum
Possible heart problems?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Possible heart problems?

I'm 54 and in pretty good health, but today after we got home from five days of taking care of my friends 3 yr. and 6 yr. old children, I got a pain in the middle of my chest that felt like it was going through to my back.  I broke out in a sweat but after a few minutes it went away.  My back teeth hurt at the time of the pain and my throat felt sore. I don't know if this relates also or ot but for the past few months I ocdaisionally have woken up and felt my heart racing.  That is the only time that I have noticed my heart race.  I leve in a very stressful home situation and usually when something goes wrong medically it turns out to be stress. I am taking care of the stress with herbs and homeopathically also counselling. Is there any tests that can help me determine what is going on? What can I do to keep from having heart problems?  I do not smoke, do not take any medication and try to keep things from bothering me as much as possible.

_
Dear Trudy,
The symptoms of chest pain with sweating and discomfort in the teeth/jaw are very worrisome.  These are typical symptoms for pain arising from the heart(angina) and may be the only signal that a heart attack has occurred, or may occur.  I recommend that you see your doctor promptly.  A stress test can be performed to determine whether the symptoms are related to heart disease, or whether they're just "stress".  Such a test is simple, painless, and covered by virtually all health insurance plans.  The results can put your mind at ease if they're negative, and otherwise can lead you to proper therapy of any serious problem.  
Information in the Heart Forum is for general purposes.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only by provided by your physician.