Post-Op After CABGX3
OK...I posted this in the neurology forum without response so I figured I would try here. 09 June 2011 I underwent heart cath after a failed stress test and echo that showed an E-factor of 45%. Result was CAD. 01 July 2011 I underwent CABGX3 successfully. After the procedure I experience intense burning periodically bilaterally in each outer thigh with constant numbess. The burning pain was so intense that it interrupted my sleep while hospitalized. After release the bilateral numbess continues but the burning sensations have abated. I am puzzled at this. My right femoral was used to perform the heart catheterization. However, I did not experience any numbess after the cath procedure. Unable to find any reference to bilateral thigh numbness online I am asking for any opinions on what may be the issue. The numbness does not affect my mobility or my daily activities. I am fully active and exercise daily per instructions from my attending cardiologist. There has been some vague reference to the possibility of body positioning during the CABG procedure maybe having caused compression injury to the femoral nerve that would result in bilateral thigh numbness. Any opinions would certainly be appreciated.
I agree with the nerve, but it can also be the result of an angioseal being used to close the femoral artery. This can put pressure on the femoral artery for up to 90days until it dissolves.
I thought the femoral nerve ran alongside the femoral artery, which is on the inner thigh where they catheterise you. So, I'm not sure if laying on it would cause discomfort, but certainly an angioseal is known to in many cases.
I had the same experience following emergency surgery for an intestinal blockage in my left leg.  It lasted for several months.  I teased the surgeon that they tossed me off the operating table.  I've had at least ten Caths for heart blockages and haven't had the problem.  I was told, however, it's common for unusual poses during surgery can result in muscle and nerve issues.
For heart surgery would you be in any position other than your back?
Interesting about the angioseal. However, I would think my cardiologist would have mentioned that when I commented about the bilateral numbness. Also, there was no immediate numbness after the cath. The numbness only manifested after the bypass surgery and when I mentioned it to the nurses, cardiologist, and surgeon they all seemed to be perplexed at what could have been causing it.