Post bypass sternum pain.
I am 45 years old and had a triple bypass 8 days ago.  I was released from hospital 2 days ago.  The pain in the incision area and around the sternum has not gotten better.  One of the nurses was Very surprised by this, as I was told that the pain should almost be gone.  Is it really possible that the pain should be gone after 8 days?  I am taking 10mg percoset every 4 hours, and it does not seem to make a huge difference.  I'm SURE it is making a difference or I would be in bad shape.  Anyway, is it too early to be concerned that there are complications?  I can't even sleep in my bed yet (recliner only), and the stiffness is not improving.  Please reassure me that I have a crazy nurse!

Everyone is different but I am suprised you would be taking percocet at home and not being able to sleep in your bed.
Why would you be surprised I am taking percoset at home?

Should I stop taking it?  I thought I was supposed to be controlling the pain as directed by the Doctor?  Is there a reason I should stop?
You should be controlling the pain but usually the pain at home is not that severe.  Again every case is unique.  Dont stop taking pain meds if you have pain, but if you can control your pain with regular tylenol or vicodin step down from percocet.  10mg every 4 hours over a week after surgery seems high.

Your doctor knows better than anyone and always follow his directions.
I am a 48 year old female and had triple bypass December 18th and I still have pain in my sternum. The nurse in my cardiologist's office has been very helpful and talked to me for close to 45 minutes explaining that everything I was experiencing was normal and not to be worried. I was told that it is going to take a good six months to a year before I would actually feel better and that the pain will be there for the rest of my life during fluctuations in the weather just like a broken limb. I went through a period of depression and they gave me some anxiety medication until I felt that I could handle the symptoms without the meds. I still take some of the pain medicine as needed because over the counter medicines do not touch the ache/pain. I fully understand what you are going through.
That nurse that thought the pain should be gone in 8 days is NUTZ !  Or maybe she misunderstood, and thought you said 8 MONTHS.  I think I was pretty much pain free after about 3 months.  Well, not pain free, but not needing the vicodin any more.  My chest is still sore occasionally, after 4 years.  Take the drugs if you need them.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em !!
I am Dr. Arch Miller, and am on the reconstructive surgery forum. You need to have your sternum evaluated for stability. If it has not healed, and the wires are broken, you may need it stabilized. If so, then proceed to look at the web site rapidsternalclosure.com and you will see the new way of fixing unstable, painful sternums. I hope this helps, respectfully,

arch s mniller ms md facs
i just found this post that i had made 2 years ago.

i'd like everyone to know that i am scheduled for a sternum rewire in july.  to those that still have bad clicking and bad pain, get it looked at!!

i should not have waited this long!