Heart Disease Expert Forum
Post cardiac by-pass surgery side effects

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My father is 63 years old and recently, (approximately 2 months ago), underwent a double by-pass.  His recovery from the surgery was progressing faster than anyone had anticpated.

He was up and walking less than 48 hours after the surgery, and discharged within 5 days.  About 2 weeks after his discharge he developed sever pain in his toes.  They were actually blue and so painful he could not walk.  Eventually, the toes on his right foot actually split open and bled.

He was hospitalized for another 48 hours during which time a Vascular specialist ran a Doppler test.  The test showed that his circulation was perfect and not the cause of his trouble.  

It has been a month now and his feet are not getting any better.  He has been on a host of medications, (Lacix, Coumadin, Plavix, Heparin, just to name a few), most of it taken concurrently and nothing is helping.

His cardiologist thinks the problem is being caused by "Plaque" that was dislodged during the surgery and planted itself in his feet.  We are at our wits end and need to find some answers.

My question to you is have you ever seen anything like this in by-pass patients, and where should we go from here?  I am afraid that his condition will worsen before someone finds an answer.  I do not want him to get to the point where he can't walk at all.  Any assistance or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Colleen Rentschler
Without seeing him or his feet I can only guess. Probably the cardiologist is correct and some plaque was dislodged during surgery. This is a known complication of bypass surgery, as well as catheterization and angioplasty. If this is what happened, somtimes the condition gets better on its own, but if not may require amputation. Local care to the feet is important, in order to prevent further skin breakdown and infection. He should be followed by a vascular specialist and referred to a vascular surgeon if necessary.
My father had triple-bypass surgery today.  I do not live near him and am concerned that he will get the help needed to make his recovery go smoothly.  He seems to think he will not need any extra help.  I am wondering if it is necessary that I go see him to make sure he is taken good care of.  Also I am curious what the psychological ramifications are as a result of such a major surgury.
He certainly will need extra help aroung the home for at least a few weeks. It takes about 6 weeks for the incision to heal. He will not be able to drive or lift anything heavy during that time. If he lives alone, his recovery will probably not be very smooth. There need not be any psychological ramifications, but it is a very individual matter. Some people are depressed after surgery and some impose limitations on themselves that they need not.
my father, 71 ,had a quadriple by-pass surgery one month ago.
the first 4 days after he was so well, then the lung failed and he has ned assistence for breathing.a week later a tracheotomie
the doctors dont't understand what happens with him.Now my father's hemoglobine is very low and and he has to mutch sodium in his blood.he looks like disturb and does no more answer to us
his mouth is always open his eyes too.we ask us if the brain can be touched. sorry my english is not so good, i live in switzerland and my language is french or german. but anyway i hope there is somebody who can tell me something about this complication.
p.s. the doctors tell us he has a bleeding in his intestine, they don't know exactly where.
but why he is so absent? his members (hands, arms and legs)are filled with water.
I am awaiting your answer soon ,because it is very painful to see my father like this without any reason,hope or understanding.
In 1985, I had a myocardial infarct, and the left anterior portion of my heart muscle was destroyed.  I was told that I lost one third of my heart.  Two years ago, I had a quintuple bypass with a very rapid recovery.  I now suffer from an intense shortness of breath, even at rest.  I am on empirin 325mg, cozaar 50 mg and lopressor 50 mg.  I had a breath test, which was within normal limits.  Is there any medication which may resolve my shortness of breath.  I have no chest pain.
Thank you for your response.
Two years ago, my father had by-pass surgery.  He has just recently been diagnosed with an infection of the leg from which the main artery was used.  Why, after all this time?  Is this common?  Is this an indication of a more serious problem?
A related discussion, Breathing Problem and Water Filled in Lungs, Legs was started.
A related discussion, Bypass Grafting was started.
A related discussion, Side affects was started.
A related discussion, Short of breath was started.
A related discussion, bypass surgery mood change was started.
A related discussion, mood swings after triple by pass was started.
A related discussion, cold toes after heart bypass surgery was started.
A related discussion, upcoming bypass surgery was started.
A related discussion, Heart Rythm was started.
A related discussion, who is my favorite football team was started.
A related discussion, Illness was started.
A related discussion, after surgery was started.
A related discussion, SIDE EFFECT (BODY SHIVERING) 12YEARS AFTER BYPASS was started.