Heart Disease Expert Forum
Post-catheterization

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Post-catheterization

Posted by Deborah on July 23, 1999 at 09:43:30
Almost two-years ago I had a catheterization and my heart has not been the same since.  I have been suffering from PAC's which have been documented by a 30 day monitor ever since I had the procedure.  I am very young and the catheterization was probably performed unneccessarily.  In addition, my arteries are very small, as I am a very small, petite peron.  I have always thought that the catheterization procedure did some kind of damage to my heart (specifically either the electrical system of my heart, or the wall of the small artery the catheter is inserted into just before shooting the dye) because the PAC's have been relentless ever since and I NEVER had this before the procedure.  When the doctor was removing the catheter, I felt it coming out and I felt PAIN which I am not supposed to feel.  Then, the symptoms (PAC's) started weeks after the procedure. For almost TWO YEARS I have been from cardiologist to cardiologist trying to get an explaination for this.  I have come to THIS FORUM and asked this question in several different ways, to just be told over and over again the procedure couldn't have possibly caused any damage.  Then, recently I switched general practitioners and I talked to her about it.  She told me that's probably EXACTLY what happened to me (damage to the electrical system), but cardiologists won't admit it.  She said it makes sense logically and went on to explain it to me.  I started to cry because my symptoms and feelings were FINALLY validated. All of the doctors I've talked to, including doctors on this forum have put the blame on ME saying I'm suffering from anxiety, instead of blaming the real culprit - the doctor who unneccessarily performed the catheterization procedure on me in the first place! I'm considering filing a complaint against the doctor who performed that cath. on me now. WHY can't you all just tell us the truth, instead of trying to make the patients feel like it's their fault?????  I've been suffering from these PAC's from that bloody catheterization procedure for almost TWO years now!  And all my doctors blamed me the victim, including the doctors HERE on this site.  This has caused me A LOT of emotional suffering.  Maybe you should start giving the patients a little more credit for knowing their bodies and stop using "anxiety" as an answer for everything.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD JMF on July 23, 1999 at 15:09:00
Dear Deborah,
Catheterization is unknown to cause PVC's and PAC's chronically.  
As you are aware, information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you
would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by
using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology
staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Posted by Wade Christensen on July 24, 1999 at 18:30:54
Deborah, I can totally relate to the lack of faith you put in your cardiologist as I went to four before I got treatment and relief from PVC'S and Tachycardia. Please continue to seek appropriate medical care and advice. My Dr. has just recently gone to the Cleveland Clinic and I will definately miss him(or travel there to see him). His name is Andrea Natale. I also got excellent treatment at the Krannert Institute of Cardiology from William Grow. Good Luck !

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD JMF on July 26, 1999 at 07:57:46
Dear Wade ,
Thank you for your comments.