Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pounding in ear

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Pounding in ear

Hello Doctor,
            I have high blood pressure for which I take 20 MG of medicine daily.
  It does not always keep the BP in a normal range, for me. Many times I will get a loud pounding heart beat in my right ear, so loud it feels like it could be apparent to others, but of course it isn't. It is very disturbing to me, though. My BP averages around 150/90 on the BP medicine. But there are times when it goes up higher, even with medication-and usually when I have the pounding in my ear, I will check the BP and it is quite high. Can you tell me why I have the loud pounding heartbeat in the right ear only and
  if it is of any significance in my Blood Pressure problem. Thanks so much.
  I am a 59 year old female.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Dee
The pounding in the ear may just be your body telling you that your blood pressure is too high. If your blood pressure is not controlled with the medicine you are on, you may need additional medicine(s). Make an appointment to see your doctor and have your blood pressure checked. Your doctor may choose to increase your current medication dose (don't just do this on your own) or add an additional medicine.
I hope this is useful. Feel free to write back. I wish you the best of luck.
If you would like to set up an appointment with one of our cardiologists here at the Cleveland Clinic please feel free to call 1-800-CCF-CARE.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only. Actual diagnosis and treatment of any particular medical condition can only be made by your physician(s).

A related discussion, Why was started.