Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pregnancy after Ross procedure

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Pregnancy after Ross procedure

I am 26 years old and live in Turkey. I was born with aortic coarctation at the 10th cm of aort and bicuspid aortic valve with stenosis. I had two surgeries to be cured. First one was in Texas Children Hospital when I was four. Dr. Dental Cooley had fixed my coarctation problem and proceed valvulotomy to my bicuspid aortic valve. Second one was in Cleveland Clinic when I was 18 years old. Dr. Roger Mee made ROSS OPERATION to fix my bicuspid aortic valve with stenosis. During the operation, my aortic valve has been replaced with my pulmoner valve. And my pulmoner valve has been replaced with a Hencock Valve. He and his team had done it very successfully. I have no complains and can live my life normally. After the second surgery I started to use aspirin and Enalapril (ACE INHIBITOR)as medicines. I have my routine check-ups every year by my pediatric cardiologist in Turkey. At these controls specially, the mild leakage at the aortic valve, aortic root's expansion and hencock valve have been followed. Now, I have a family and we decided to have a baby with my husband. However, I should know if the pregnancy process may cause a risk for my heart? At what age/weight should I get pregnant? How the pregnancy and delivery processes pass?What specialist should follow me during the pregnancy period? What anti hyper tension medicine should I get instead of ACE inhibior?Can I have two children? I wish to get good news. Thank u very much. Best Regards ELIF
Tags: Pregnancy
As long as your aortic valve is working well and there is no evidence of stenosis of the prosthetic pulmonary valve you should do well.  I am assuming that your heart function is normal and that your aorta size is only mildly dilated.  It is important to know how the coarctation was fixed and whether the proximal aorta was also fixed because of the risk of dissection which may be increased by pregnancy hormones.  You have to stop the ace inhibitor and either take beta blockers (labetolol) or methyldopa for your blood pressure control.  I would suggest seeing an experienced valve cardiologist before going ahead with the pregnancy.