Heart Disease Community
Pregnant with chest & back pain, short of breath, nausea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Practically since the day I became pregnant, I have been having problems with chest pain, shortness of breath, back pain and nausea. Oh, also racing heartbeat (120 bpm) and palpitations (can feel in chest and also when taking pulse). Initially, the shortness of breath was assumed to be my asthma acting up again. But breathing tests assured the pulmonologist that my asthma was not a factor. My OB said shortness of breath during pregnancy is normal. So that alone I could deal with. But I have chest pains and back pains that can be reproduced by pushing, and massage helps. But there is also an internal aspect to it - a deep aching. I'm 18 weeks pregnant, but frequently hit with days of being completely nauseous and unable to keep food down. This has recently progressed to a pain below my breastbone, like I need to burp desperately. I try not eating for an entire day, thinking lack of food will cure that. For three days, I've felt the pain that I can only liken to needing to burp or indigestion. Zantac, Tums and Gas-X all provide no relief. The cardiologist did an Echo, and said I have a mitral valve prolapse with leaflet thickening. I had an EKG that showed a problem with the left ventricle that he said I wouldn't have to worry about for years - not sure what it was. I did not have a stress test or wear a monitor. My question is could this be cardiac, despite being told that my heart is fine? Right now, the back pain, chest pain, nausea, and weird almost blurriness/lightheadedness are making me wonder if I should be in the ER. But as a 26 year old woman, I'm afraid it will be a waste of money since they may not even consider me at risk enough to do any cardiac tests.
Can I add one more thing to my questions? The back pain is located between my should blades. But if you press on it, it hurts. Does cardiac-related back pain hurt to press on? Also, I feel a tightness in the front sides of my neck up to my jawline. Thanks.
Get more information on what the left ventricle problem is.  Sometimes a serious complication can arise from prenancy called PPCM.  Look that up.  Though it would be rare for you to develop it this soon and the more likely answer is a combination of morning sickness, strain on muscles due to relaxin hormone and visual changes due to hormones and fluid changes...the left ventricle thing concerns me.

That said, I had all your symptoms during a normal pregnancy.
I have friend that went through this when she was pg. I know one thing for sure there are lots of women that have pvc when they are pg. One because of all the raging harmones. I think if there was anything to worry over they would not had let you go. I also know that my frined had to go on a beta blocker during pregnancy because she had pvc that resulted in tachacardia. They said this is commen in pregnacy as well. What ever you do try to eat foods that will not upset your stomach. This is v ery common in pregnancy as well. Go to e pregancy.com great site and ask your questions there as well. Try to relax just being pregnant can cause anxiety "harmones" breath deep  and repeat to your self that you are healthy and feeling good.
26 is young! Enjoy being pg it goes by fast then you have lots of reasons to have pvc and stress!! "kidding" :)
Good luck!
Deb