Heart Disease Expert Forum
Premature Atrial Contractions

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Premature Atrial Contractions

I have mulitfocal atrial tachycardia and have been on Atenelol 25mg/twice a day for the last thirteen years of my life. In the last month I have been having countless palpitations, which after a halter monitor, have been diagnosed as Premature Atrial Contractions (PACs). These palpitations have in recent days gone right into my tachycardia and I have to immediately lie down and breath to get it to click back to "normal". But no sooner than it's back, I get the PACs again. I don't know what to do!

I also have been diagnosed with osteoperosis (mind you, I'm only 33) and had my first Boniva the 18th of March and I'm taking extra calcium supplements and a mulit-vitamin (cut in half--half in morning, half at night). Could this extra calcium be causing these PACs or not allowing my Atenelol to work? My cardiologist doesn't think so and that I need to "live with it" and exercise will keep the rhythm in check. Well, I can't jog all day long!  I'm going to stop calcium altogether for a few days and see if it gets better. What can be done? Would an ablation help?
It is unlikely that calcium supplements are causing this. But one solution could be to increase the atenolol since you are only on a very minimal dose. If this fails to control your symptoms there are many other medications which can help to decrease the PACs such as flecanide. But these medications do not have the safest profiles of use in cardiac patients, and so should not be used a priori.
-7 Comments
Calcium did it to me.  After I stopped taking it...I went back to normal.  God bless.