Heart Disease Community
Premedication before Dental visits.

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Premedication before Dental visits.

Has anyone heard of needing a premedication before a dental visit due to the following condition?- pins & plates in the body (other than the mouth?) A hygienist in our area insists that patients with any pins or plates must be premedicated before dental visits.  We understand the guidelines for other ailements, but pins & plates, etc. are new to me. Thanks for your input.
Never heard of it. My son has his knee all screwed together after an injury. But no one has mentioned premeds to him.
i have pins and rods in my back and no ive never had to have meds for that.
Prophylactic antibiotics are needed when you've have cardiac issues (mitral valve, artificial valves, etc.) in "low flow rate" areas, where it's possible that bacteria can collect and gain a foothold. High flow areas (e.g. aortic) may not require antibotics. Never heard of people with simple sugical hardware needing antibiotics for dental work.
This is news to me also.  

I'd clarify with the dentist and ask for an explanation as to why the hygenist believes it is necessary to pre-med b/c of pins, etc.  Please let us know if you find the answer.

Avatar n tn
Anything foreign to your body has a risk of endangering your heart, low risk or high. Dental professionals are just taking extra precautionary measures to prevent unfavorable things from happening. Taking premedications before your treatment doesn't do any harm to your body.
Avatar n tn
Whenever you get your teeth cleaned you, there is a risk of bacteremia occuring (bacteria in your bloodstream).  When pins or plates are in the body and bacteremia occurs, there is an increased chance/risk of the bacteria colonizing at the site.  If bacteria colonizes on a pin or plate, it can cause complications.  Taking a prophylactic antibiotic is just a precautionary measure dentists take so help ensure the safety of their patients.
I had a total knee replacement done in 1999 and to this day my dentist still insists I be pre medicated before I have any dental work done, including cleanings.
Avatar n tn
The guidelines do not specify needing antibiotics for hardware other than total joint replacements, and that is even debatable.  There IS a risk associated with antibiotics for anything, and that is why these guidelines were created.  The risk of taking the antibiotic frequently outweighs to risk of getting an infection from the dental procedure (really, quite rare).  It is poor medicine to treat people with antibiotics "just in case".  You need to have good evidence that it is actually preventing harm more than it is doing harm, which is often not the case.