Heart Disease Community
Pressure on chest?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Pressure on chest?

Since a few days I've been having a feeling in my chest which I'd describe as feeling pressure. I could also describe it as feeling like I bruised a rib. Also, today I also felt a mild, short, stinging pain in my left arm.

What could be the cause of these things? I've been under a lot of stress lately... Is it "just" a reaction to that? Or is it posssible that there a serious problem?

BlueCrystal
Feeling pressure in the chest area can be heart related angina.  That usually happens with exertion but goes away with rest.  The arm pain get rule out a heart problem as that could be a symptom.  Stress can tax the system, and cause or contribute to the problem.  You should get a medical checkup to have peace of mind.

I had a heart problem, and no symptoms until heart failure.  I never had regular physical exams, and that was a mistake.  Take care.
Thank you so much for replying. I'll see the GP next week for sure. I'll let you know what he said, ok?

Hey I was reading up on heart problems... They say the symptoms I'm experiencing can be caused by a clotted artery, as well. If that's the case, can they unclot an artery? Or do they just tell patients to take it easy permanently to minimize the symptoms?
These could be warning symptoms of an impending heart attack or it could be as simple as stress. This is not something to ignore because if it does have something to do with the heart, time is critical be it due to a clogged artery or a bad heart. Nothing to fool around with. I would go so far as to tell you that if you have insurance or not, it might be a good idea to visit the ER. Not sure I would wait a week with those symptoms.
QUOTE: "they say the symptoms I'm experiencing can be caused by a clotted artery, as well. If that's the case, can they unclot an artery? Or do they just tell patients to take it easy permanently to minimize the symptoms?"

Yes, clots can be removed. It is a catheter-directed thrombolysis that is a minimally invasive treatment that dissolves abnormal blood clots in blood vessels to help improve blood flow and prevent damage to tissues and organs.

In a catheter-directed thrombolysis procedure, x-ray imaging is used to help guide a special medication or medical device to the site of blood clots to dissolve the blockage.

Keep us informed and thanks for sharing.
For a clogged artery as stated above, stents can be put into place to hold the artery open and left in place after the clog is removed. My husband has 5 of these things. Still you ought not play around with symptoms such as you are having. Get checked out and treated as soon as you can.
I felt fine today but was still worried, obviously. So I called the GP's emergency telephone line today and the woman on the phone there asked me a bunch of questions. She asked if these problems run in my family etc.

And based on the answers I gave and the symptoms I described, she told me that having them check me out was pointless at the moment, as the symptoms weren't present at the time. But she said that if they were to come back, even slightly, I had to call them right away and they'd check me out. Otherwise, I should "definately" go to the GP on Monday, she said.

It's weird; last night when I went to bed I stood up from my couch and I felt a crack in my chest bone. And after that I felt better right away. I don't know what that means but I'm just glad I feel better than these past few days. In any case, I've had a LOT of stress recently so I guess it has something to do with it. But heart problems run in my family so I shouldn't jump to any conclusions.

Thank you all for replying. You're very kind. I'll keep you updated. :)
Please keep us infrormed.  Maybe there will be a reduction of stress, and you will feel better!  Hope so.
I went to the doctor today and during the visit he applied pressure on a certain part of my chest and he asked [I]"Does this hurt?"[/I]. And I'll tell you that I felt exactly the same kind of discomfort as I felt last week. He said that the discomfort I felt was due to all the stress which caused my ribcage to contract and that causes muscle aches in the part where your ribs are 'attached' to your chestbone. So there wasn't any need for any tests regarding blood pressure or the functioning of my heart as everything was fine. So that's quite the relief!!
That's very interesting I didn't know stress could cause rib cage to contract.  It is so interesting that I will research the subject.  I know cartilage (fibrous connecting tissure) of the rig cage can become inflammed and cause pain.  Thank you very much for the information.  Take care.
Yes, stress can cause chest pain when there is costochondritis (inflammation of cartilage  and rib cage).  Stress causes the nerves to be more on edge and tightens the muscles, both of which trigger costochodritis pain...usually the result of an injurty. For some insight, " It has been  found that the pain increases quite a bit in a stressful situation versus non stress times.  With stress our bodies go into their fight or flight reaction, which is why some doctors put us on relaxing types of medication so that our bodies won't go into that reaction, raising the pain level".

Good news then there is no heart problem!  
I was having similar chest pains and and off for years - It turns out partially due from GERD and I've had my gallbladder removed, It's also anxiety related.

Following up with my cardiologist and a stress test 2 weeks ago, he put me on a low dose of BP pills, Bystolic 5mg. I've been taking it and feel better, my pressure and pulse are very low now - i haven't had any anxiety/panic attacks since and my chest feels better, only a few bouts of GERD.

It's only making me tired, but i've called him and asked if thats a major side effect.

Best of luck finding out whats the cause -- glad its not a heart problem

Thats awesome! not that you are in pain and having stress but that it is no more serious than that! Now work on that stress! lol
I still feel fine. :) It's pretty much gone now, the pain. *sigh* I'm so relieved as for a moment I actually thought I might have a high blood pressure problem. :(

But a weight has lifted now and I'm feeling really good! Thanks again, everybody. You've been great, supportive and kind. :)

And yes, kenkeith; the ribcage always contracts when one is stressed. It's a normal reaction. It's just that when you're pretty much always stressed as I was, it can cause muscle aches.

The cause of the stress was having a lot of arguments with someone I know, like, all the time for the past few months. But we've worked things out, sort of, so I should be fine now. :)
Hi BlueCrystal,

I'm very discouraged and dismayed by the fact - that in a setting like this - a public forum - that the first piece of advice wasn't given and should be - that YOU do some research and put into the search field here at medhelp and/or web MD:

Coronary Artery Disease

There is a forum here called:

http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/2348/Coronary-heart-disease

At minimum - you should be spending hours - researching and/or Googling your concerns.

You say:

"They say the symptoms I'm experiencing can be caused by a clotted artery, as well. If that's the case, can they unclot an artery? "

AND

"But heart problems run in my family so I shouldn't jump to any conclusions."

BlueCrystal; Do you know what a "clotted artery" is? and Can they unclot an artery?

You are far too young to not know the answers to these questions - prior to coming to a Forum - especially when you say:

"But heart problems run in my family"

Knowledge is Power !!!
When I found this forum I was sorta distressed and I couldn't make sense of this site so fast. It looks very different than all the other forums I've been to. So I just posted the question.. But I understand what you're saying. I appreciate your concern.

I am aware of health hazards... I saw a dietician about six months ago so I'm actually eating healthy and I'm getting plenty of exercise, I don't drink, I don't smoke... The only thing is the stress, really. But I've started to work on that even more, too. :)

I had the same experience 6 years ago and I posted a question to this forum if one's EF can be increased as I had been told I had 13% EF, enlarged left ventricle, severe mitral valve regurgitation, totally blocked coronary artery and another 72%.  I had always considered myself to be in fairly good condition, and I was devastated and updated my will. The first cardiologist was not one of choice, but was waiting in ER for a patient.  He didn't speak English very well, asnd pointed to the sky when I asked how long I was to live, didn't talk...would mumble something if asked, etc.

The cardiologist of my choice has been treating me for the past 5 1/2 years and I haven't had one sick day.  I would also recommend learn all you are able and get involved with a forum.  It helped me...probably saved my life!