Heart Disease Community
Problems after open heart surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Problems after open heart surgery

Last July I underwent OHS for an anyurism in my ascending aortia.  The anyurism was 6.1 cm.  They replaced the valve with a St. Jude's metal valve and my aortia just before the crook with dacron.  Ever since surgery I have had problems with my vision.  I have "spells" where I feel like my head is spinning, or my eyes are crossed and I have double vision, or I see gray like someone is pouring a fluid that is starting from the top of my vision and then stops before it covers my whole vision. (I hope that makes sense.) They aren't as frequent as post surgery (6-8 times a day) to (1-2 times every 2-3 days) but they are longer and stronger.  Neurologist said they found nothing, but I am still having the same problems.  I also (and others) have noticed that my memory isn't as good.  Do you have an explanation for me?  My cariologist said my EKG was fine and maybe I had a stroke during surgery, but that explanation didn't make much sense to me.  Thanks for any answers or information you can give me it's driving me crazy!
Related Discussions
214864_tn?1229718839
Have you had any imaging of your brain done, and have you seen your ophthalmologist and explained these symptoms? I have had 2 strokes and several transient ischemic attacks (TIA) that did effect my vision, but not the same as you describe. Plus during a TIA you get some strange feelings.

You may have a retina that is trying to detach, or a tiny clot in the very small arteries that supply your retina and could have been due to the surgery.

Here is some information about retinal detachment: Hope this goes away soon.

Retinal Detachment and Retinal Detachment Surgery

Retinal detachment is a serious disease which may follow eye injuries, but more often strikes without warning. It is more common in eyes which have had cataracts. Although it is not very common, it may sometimes run in a family. The disease occurs when the retina, which is the part of the eye which does the same job in the eye that the film does in a camera. It normally lines the back of the eye, where it is held in place by the pressure of the gel and fluids that fill the eye. If a hole or tear forms in the retina, it will no longer be held in place and will detach, or fall to the center of the eye.

Since the retina gets most of its blood supply from blood vessels in the wall of the eye, when it is detached, it does not get enough oxygen and other essential nutrients form the blood and vision stops in the part of the retina that is detached. If it is all detached, nearly all vision will stop in the affected eye. This is why repair of retinal detachment is usually needed very quickly, as the longer the retina is deprived of blood supply, the more damage that it may suffer.

The patient may notice flashes of light and or an increase in floating spots when the hole or tear in the retina forms, then hours to months later may notice a darkening of vision in some part of the field of view. This darkening is often described as being like a curtain slowly closing over the vision. It is much better if repair can be done before the curtain crosses the center of the vision.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Heart Disease Answerers
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
ed34
watford, United Kingdom
Blank
skydnsr
159619_tn?1318997813
Blank
erijon
Salt Lake City, UT
63984_tn?1385441539
Blank
Flycaster305
97303, OR
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ
Blank
Occupant
IL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
10555961_tn?1411011933
Blank
69_F100_Ranger commented on photo
7 hrs ago
Blank
Ashkaikyl88 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
7 hrs ago
1755089_tn?1376057155
Blank
drewlevas uploaded new photos
13 hrs ago
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979