Heart Disease Expert Forum
Problems with Heart When Laying on Left Side

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Last night I noticed when laying on my left side I noticed a funny sensation with my heart beating weird. I sat up took my blood pressure it was 118/65 pulse 77 but showed I had an irregular heartbeat. I waited about 5 minutes took it again blood pressure was 127/75 pulse 85 no irregular heartbeat symbol. I have had all the test run before, ekg, 30 event monitor, echo all showed normal except the occasional skipped heartbeats that are more like thud and other than mild mitral valve prolapse my heart was structually fine. This is the second time this has happened in a month with the irregular heartbeat symbol on the monitor and me feeling like this. The weird feeling was like my heart was beating out of rhythm. Could this have been Afib or was my heart just skipping alot. I do have alot of acid reflux lately as well. What kind of irregular rhythm would the heart monitor show? I am really concerned now.
About three things happen ticker-wise when you lie on your left side:

1.  Changes of position in bed often trigger benign ectopic beats in everyone.

2.  Lying on your side slightly mashes the rib cage (as you might imagine!).  The heart is slightly to the left of center in most people, and when you lie on the left side, the heart is actually near enough to the ribs that its tip can bump up against the bones there.  It's normal; it doesn't hurt anything, but it can be felt.

3. Most importantly, some extra-sensitive people (like many of those who post here) feel every little thump and bump, and it freaks them out.

You have had your heart checked out and you're OK.  If the sensation on your left side really bothers you, try getting a bigger pillow or bed wedge to lift your rib cage a bit higher.  Or train yourself to fall asleep on the right side.

P.S.  Acid reflux is a big factor.  Google this phrase:

Arrhythmia when laying on left side

The first thing that should come up is an explanation by a guy named John Kenyon.  There's good information in his response.
thanks for the info I will check it out. I was worried it was afib but since my heart was not beating fast maybe i was in bigeminy or trigeminy it was fluttery flinging pulse. it didnt really feel out of rhythm to me when checking my pulse just felt weird in my chest