Prognosis of dilated cardiomyopathy
Hi, my mother's situation is very similar. She was recently diagnosed, aged 66 and has severe heart failure EF 15-20%, no other   comorbidities, has been fit and  healthy otherwise and no health issues. SOBOE and has to rest a bit more now, but gets around and very positive person-loves life and her grand kiddies- which is why this has been so devastating for our family. She is on the relevent meds, we are hoping these work well for her to increase EF. I am frightened of sudden death in meantime, or will she be relatively safe with meds? I guess time will tell but it is so hard.
Any insights/ advice welcomed kindly!

This discussion is related to Heart Failure recovery time.
Hello and hope you are doing well.
The exact management and prognosis for your mother’s situation can be advised only after a thorough medical evaluation. Ejection fraction is a measure of the pumping capacity of the heart and your mother has severe decrease which is below <25%.   A low EF may be due to artery blockages, high blood pressure, myocarditis or a variety of other more rare conditions. The treatment for a low EF is usually with diuretics, beta-blockers and ACE inhibitors.  She may show some improvement in EF with medication and/or treatment of the underlying condition. Other options in patients not responding to medical therapy are left ventricular assist devices or heart transplant. It is best to discuss your concerns with her cardiologist. Do write to me again with more queries.
Best wishes and regards!  

Thank-you, it is so helpful having forums like this.

Mum's arteries and valves showed to be fine, the cardiologist explains very little and was very patronizing when I asked relevant questions, hence my own search, but I assume he is thinking cardiomyopathy...?  Mum's blood pressure has always been within normal range and has always been fit and healthy.

I am taking her to a naturopath this week also, I have her on coenzymeQ10 and fish oil,   I have read about hawthorn extract and vitamen B as important too...?

She is tolerating the ACE inhibitors and Beta-blockers have recently been introduced and she is also on Lasec.  She has to take sleeping medication at night at the moment.

I have been seeing stem cell research making some early progress with heart failure/cardiomyopathy?

Again, thank-you as feedback and knowledge is invaluable and provides me with some hope to hang on to when I feel overwhelmed.

Kind regards