Heart Disease Expert Forum
Protime test

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Protime test

I had atrial fibrillation, which was corrected with cardioversion, and have been on Coumadin for eight months now.  In the last two months my protime tests have shown my blood too thick, and I've had to increase my dosage of Coumadin both times.  I was wondering if eating a lot of tomatoes could affect that.  That's the only food I've eaten more of lately, and there have been no other lifestyle changes.
Your goal INR for should be between 2.0 and 3.0.  Coumadin is a synthetic derivative vitamin K which is a fat soluble vitamin involved in the production of coagulation factors.  You should have been given a booklet with instructions regarding the vitamin K. content of a variety of foods when  you were started on Coumadin. Here is a brief list of foods with high vitamin K. contents:
strawberries, spinach, cows milk, lettuce, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, wheat germ.
tomatoes are considered low vitamin K foods, in that they contain one tenth of the vitamin K of the the above listed foods.
Hi,  I read your post and couldn't agree more with the Dr.   I'm surprised they didn't give you information on coumadin.   I have a great 'coumadin' clinic.  If I'm to high or to low - we discuss the changes in my diet or meds.  Lots of things can effect the protime test.  I just wanted to mention that I test myself at home once a week.  I have a home monitor.  Called Protime and I get my test strips from QAS - "quality assured service" out of Florida.  I believe this drug is vital to my health inplanted with a (mechanical mitral valve) in 2004..  But I think if monitored closely - I've done very well on this drug and have had no problems.  But you really need to have your INR monitored often.  So much in everday life can change your INR readings.  Consistency is the most important.   As far as foods, exercise, or alcohol and of course any meds you might take - including over the counter meds such as aspirin.  I think a good coumadin clinic is vital.  
Best,
Konopka 1955
On june 18 of this year I also had a valve replacement. I was told to take coumadin also with no information on it except I had to have regular pt tests. Ive had about 4 so far and each time the DR. changes my doseage. Ive gone from 5 to 7and a half to 10 then back to 7.5  From every two weeks to now once a month. All with no explanation. Where can I find more information?
What are panic values for an INR?
I have an artifial aortic valve (St. Judes)  Is it true I can never come off coumdin unless I take some other anti-clotting medicine such as hepirin?  Certain procedures such as epidural steroid injection for spinal stenosis require that I stop my coumadin.
A related discussion, coumadin levels was started.