Heart Disease Community
Pulmonary Hypertension - Scared
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pulmonary Hypertension - Scared

I saw my Cardiologist today for a follow up and he said that my Echo that I had done a few weeks ago showed that the pressure in my pulmonary artery went up 5 points (from 35 to 40). He seemed concerned since 35 is on the high side of normal, but for it to go from 35 to 40 in such a short amount of time was cause for concern.

So, now I have to go for Pulmonary tests and possibly a right heart catherization. He thinks I may have Pulmonary Hypertension.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything that could make the pressure go up like that within 6 months?

Thanks so much for the help! I am totally clueless about this and very scared.

Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Echos are not always ideal for measuring the pulmonary pressure.   It is, in fact, an estimate based off of tricuspid insufficiency.   Upwards of 60% of normal people have some degree of tricuspid insufficiency which would equate to a higher pressure estimate of the pulmonary artery.  

The diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension is more of a disease of elimination.   They need to find underlying causes, if any, before that diagnosis can be made.   Furthermore, are they seeing any rt heart enlargement?   Any pulmonary stenosis?

The gold standard is right heart cath since it is a direct measurement.
Blank
Thanks so much for your reply! My Cardiologist didn't say anything about right heart enlargement, but a couple years ago I had an EKG that supposedly showed Biatrial Enlargement. Nothing was ever said about that.

I didn't hear anything about pulmonary stenosis either. He referred me to a Pulmonogist for testing but didn't say much beyond that.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
996946_tn?1385991151
Blank
LindaTX uploaded a new photo
10 hrs ago
1236893_tn?1394988190
Blank
gymdandee commented on  Things Killing Your ...
11 hrs ago
Blank
remar commented on  Things Killing Your ...
15 hrs ago
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979