Pulmonary Hypertension - Scared
I saw my Cardiologist today for a follow up and he said that my Echo that I had done a few weeks ago showed that the pressure in my pulmonary artery went up 5 points (from 35 to 40). He seemed concerned since 35 is on the high side of normal, but for it to go from 35 to 40 in such a short amount of time was cause for concern.

So, now I have to go for Pulmonary tests and possibly a right heart catherization. He thinks I may have Pulmonary Hypertension.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything that could make the pressure go up like that within 6 months?

Thanks so much for the help! I am totally clueless about this and very scared.

Echos are not always ideal for measuring the pulmonary pressure.   It is, in fact, an estimate based off of tricuspid insufficiency.   Upwards of 60% of normal people have some degree of tricuspid insufficiency which would equate to a higher pressure estimate of the pulmonary artery.  

The diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension is more of a disease of elimination.   They need to find underlying causes, if any, before that diagnosis can be made.   Furthermore, are they seeing any rt heart enlargement?   Any pulmonary stenosis?

The gold standard is right heart cath since it is a direct measurement.
Thanks so much for your reply! My Cardiologist didn't say anything about right heart enlargement, but a couple years ago I had an EKG that supposedly showed Biatrial Enlargement. Nothing was ever said about that.

I didn't hear anything about pulmonary stenosis either. He referred me to a Pulmonogist for testing but didn't say much beyond that.