Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pulmonary Hypertension / Valve Disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Pulmonary Hypertension / Valve Disease

Early fibrotic changes are unusual in a patient at this age. (46)  Focus on factors known to promote these fibrocalcific changes.  Mitral annular calcification is noted.  Slight sclerosis of the mitral leaflets is seen as well as sclerosis of the sub leaflet mitral and supportive apparatus.  Trace to mild mitral insufficiency is noted.  The significance of this observation in a 46 year old is highlighted.  RIght atrial pressure is 10-15 mmHg.  The estimated right ventricular systolic and pulmonary artery systolic pressures is approx. 40 - borderline for pulmonary hypertension.

Hx:  Polycystic kidney disease (minor) and hypertension.  Reynauds and other minors...  Nurse by trade.  Quit smoking x6 months and gained 20#.  Normal weight is ~180 and now 210.  5'6"  Very sedentary over last 6 months.  Less energy and RLE edema.  B/P running 135/85.  Always high HR ~90's.  10 year old daughter has CF and Hemochromatosis.  Freaking out over this echo and my MD is not available until Friday.  No Cards MD on board yet...      
I'm sorry to hear you're having some difficulty.  It is hard to interpret exactly what is going on based on the information provided.  It sounds like you may have some issues with your mitral valve, perhaps due to a history of rheumatic fever or lupus.  Your weight gain and edema may be due to stenosis (narrowing) of your mitral valve causing fluid to back up.  The Raynauds can be seen in some connective tissue diseases such as lupus.  The pulmonary hypertension is mild and may be due to mitral valve stenosis if present.  This is all speculation.  It could be that your mitral valve is fine and just showing some signs of normal aging.  Difficult to say without the primary echo in front of me.  My recommendation would be to stay in close contact with your cardiologist and give him/her a good history of any symptoms you may be having.  Best of luck to you.
No comments?!  What other info do I need to provide?
Thank you for taking the time to help me understand the results.  No hx of either lupus/rheumatic fever.  Hx of polycystic kidney disease and HTN though.