Heart Disease Community
Pulmonary hypertension and leaky heart valves

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Hello. I am a 29 year old mother of two and my life is finally turning great. And then the dreaded doctors visit. I had a rapid heartrate. So they figure an echocardiogram is the best way to go with this. I figure its nothing. Just a little chest tightness and some weakness and shortness of breath but only every now and then. Well the echocardiogram determined that I had two leaky valves and pulmonary hypertension coming from a valve that is a bit enlarged and pumping too much blood in and out of my heart. As soon as i found out I cut out salt and sugar and have worked to lose weight since I am a bit overweight. I walk at least a few miles a week to start out and will be working up. The pressure in my lungs is 48. I am on a betapace at its weakest dose and a water pill. Thats it. How dangerous is this and by knowing the cause and treating it can that bring my pressure down>? so many things i read say i am gonna die in three to five years but i feel pretty good for a sick person. Im not ready to leave my kids and family. Please any knowledge or encouragement is greatly appreciated :)
Do you have a copy of that echo?   Understand that the echo is only a "window in time" or only viewed in light of the person who studied it.   Leaky valves (trivial and mild) are generally nothing to be concerned about... especially the tricuspid valve... some 60% of normal people have that leaky valve and is a normal varient.  

Pulmonary hypertension based on echo is considered from other things seen; though unfortunately a lot of dr's seem to think a single reading from the tricuspid valve (how they calculate pulmonary pressure) is sufficient.   It is actually pretty accurate but can greatly vary from echo to echo.. .as far as 10 mmhg depending on who actually performed the test.   The PAP is based off the RVSP + 5mmHg.   However some doctors incorrectly add 10mmHg to that value and causes the pressure to be overcalculated.

Did he say anything about increased right ventricle chamber size?   Pulmonary insufficiency?   Keep in mind that below 35mmHg is normal.   The only way to accurately determine pulmonary artery pressure is right heart cath.   I would follow your doctors instructions on cutting salt/sugar and losing weight.   But I urge you to get a copy of that echo and stop googling everything!   You will only worry yourself for no reason!

LOL...thank you very much and my husband told me the same thing. Stop googling everything. Yes I do have a copy of the report. Its got a bunch of stuff I dont understand completly. What it does say is there is mild to moderate mitral regurgitation, mild to moderate tricuspid regurgitation, moderate pulmonary hypertension, and the left atrium is mildly dilated. And the pressure in my lungs is 48mmhg. Also my blood work shows my liver enzymes are a a bit elevated. Other than that Im in good health I think. I get tired sometimes and out of breath but im pretty active. I take care of my brother in law that is in a wheelchair, I teach two sunday school classes, and take one, and i love hiking and walking and such. I could use to lose some weight but im working on it. I feel generally good. I had bronchitis and was able to get rid of it mostly in three days on antibiotic.  The only time I felt really really bad is when i was panicking and when i get nervous my chest hurts a bit and feels heavy. But I also have heart palpitations. Anyways, I will quit rambling now. :) Thanks for your time talking to me. You made me feel quite a bit better!!