Heart Disease Expert Forum
Pulse Rate Low - Shortness of Breath
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pulse Rate Low - Shortness of Breath

Three months after a mitral valve repair an intermittant shortness of breath (SOB) condition occurred in November of 2007.  The frequency of SOB has increased over the months.  Now I am not able to walk 150 feet on level ground without having to stop.  Recently I have begun taking my pulse when I walk.  When I do anything that should increase my heart rate, my heart slows down.  On a recent walk that included climbing a hill (40 feet elevation change over 100 yards) my heart rate steadly declined to a low 48 when I had to stop to catch my breath.  This rate decline is typical of my SOB problem now.  An angiogram and ultrasound show no blockages of the coronaries or the carotid artery.  Echocardiograms show no heart valve problems.

My sole medication is 180 Varapamil three times each day.  I have been in perfect health all my life until the mitral valve surgery.  For three months after the surgery I had no health problems whatsoever.  I am 70 years old.  I still work in my small business doing finance work.  Any ideas?