Heart Disease Expert Forum
Q wave

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Q wave

Posted by Bev on April 22, 1999 at 13:03:04
I have asked you questions previously regarding my ten year old daughter.  She has repaired ALCAPA.  On her latest ECG nonspecific ST and T wave changes continue to be noted.  A deep and wide Q wave in aVL is a new finding.  She has normal sinus rhythm with sinus arrhythmia.  A follow-up Holter monitor noted bradycardia and tach, also her usual PVCs and PACs.  What does the Q wave in aVL measure and what types of changes could the new finding signify?

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on April 23, 1999 at 08:15:10
Dear Bev, thank you for your question.  Most likely, the q wave in AVL is an incidental finding.   I suggest that you speak with your daughter's physician who could compare old and current ECG's to confirm the presence of a q wave in AVL and to determine the significance of this new ECG finding.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.  Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.