Heart Disease Community
Question About Aortic Stenosis...?

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Question About Aortic Stenosis...?

When I was 3 years old I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic stenosis. I am now 20, and the doctor said there has been no problems/change, in the 20 years and that all I need to do, is get a check up with him every 6-12 months. I have panic disorder, and am a severe hypdochondriac. He yells at me all the time, because I always stress about my heart.

I am going in 3 weeks, for my 6 month check up, and of course, I am nervous that it may have gotten worse. It's hard for me to tell if I have any symptoms, but I don't think I do.

Could my AS gotten any worse in 6 months? I know a lot about this disorder, but I just have a few questions.

If I need surgery at age 30 or so, I can deal with that. My doctor said I don't need it right now, but I am nervous my valve got worse. I do not know about the valve size or anything, probably because he knows I'll just look it up.

Does the condition get worse over years? or weeks, or days. or months or what?!

Please give me any information, that can help me relax.

I am on medication (Enalapril 5 MG, one and a half pill 2 times a day)

I have aortic regurgitation, and a murmur, which I know usually comes with aortic stenosis.

How could I know if its getting worse?

How can I tell if its really getting worse, or its just me being paranoid, and thinking i feel like it is.
If the problem is getting worse you would already know and you wouldn't be asking this question. try and just relax.
Clinically, with BAC the aortic root, ascending aorta can enlarge and the parameters are if and when the aorta enlarges greater than 4.0 cm it is considered an aneursym and greater than 5.0 cm (or possibly a little less) intervention may be required to avoid a probable dissection and if there is an intervention sometimes the valve and the aorta disorder is can be treated at the same time. Also, a rapid increase in size (>0.5 cm/year...  

What happens when there is aorta stenosis less blood is pumped with each heartbeat, and there is abnormal intra-right chamber pressure that enlarges the right ventricle (need periodic assessment of chamber size) pressures and if and when the left chamber size increases that can impede the amount of blood going to the lungs and that depletion reduces the amount of oxygenated pumped into circulation and symptoms of shortness of breath, faster than normal heart rate, possible chest pain, etc. (heart failure symptoms). Also, regurgitation reduces the amount of blood that gets into circulation with each heartbeat as well.

BAC is determined without symptoms does not preclude the best judgement of a doctor to intervene. There can be no symptoms until there is heart failure. If that happens it is unlikely the heart will return to normal functionality. I didn't have any symptoms until congested heart failure...low cardiac output.  

You are young and I assume in good health other than BAC. To put off until a later date,
may not be in your best interest.  I have moderate to severe mitral valve regurgitation that requires intervention so I can relate to your situation.

Thanks for sharing your medical condition and trust your doctor's best judgement.  If you have any followup questions or comments, you are welcome to respond.  Take care.