Heart Disease Expert Forum
Question about abdominal aorta

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Question about abdominal aorta
I have a question to which I've never been able to get an answer for.

I've been told I have a very prominent abdominal aorta and pulse. I've been told this ever since I could recall--all the way back to my teenage years. However, I am not thin at all. I am now 36 and another doctor recently expressed their concern about it. Abdominal ultrasounds and a couple CTs in the distant past have been normal, but did not involve contrast.

Can normal people who are not thin have abnormally strong abdominal aortas and is there anything in the medical literature to explain why this has been happening to me? Is this something worth monitoring? Thanks.

There is an association between a palpable abdominal pulse and  abdominal aortic aneurysm. If you feel that this is changed, and you have not had any imaging studies in the last two years, then an abdominal ultrasound to look for the size of the aorta and to exclude an aneurysm is probably indicated.  If the ultrasound is normal, then he did not need to worry about an aneurysm rupturing.