Heart Disease Community
Question on EKG

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Question on EKG

good morning - I have had an EKG which says bradycardia with marked sinus arrthymia, left axis deviation, pattern in V1 suggests right ventricular conduction delay, non specific T wave abnormality and abnormal EKG.
Now I went to the cardiologist,and he did not explain any of that to me. :(
So far I wore a holter monitor, no report back from the doctor and scheduled for an ECHO. I had a chest xray and some tests from my normal doctor. She has not called me either.
I wondered if you can extrapilate on the EKG at all? just some maybes or helpful information would be nice.
I am 47 year old healthy female who excercises by walking only. He did say he thought I could have condritis, but no suggestions for that either.
I can't interpre the EKG results, but I see a few things I recognize.  Bradycardia is a term used to refer to a slower (under 60 bpm) heart rate.  Some people tend to have slower heart rates.  The Holter exam will help the doctor figure out what, if anything is going on.  

I found the following definition for sinus arrhythmia: The normal increase in heart rate that occurs during inspiration (when you breathe in). This is a natural response and is more accentuated in children than adults.

The "sinus" refers to the natural pacemaker of the heart which is called the sinoatrial (or sinus) node. It is located in the wall of the right atrium (the right upper chamber of the heart). Normal cardiac impulses start there and are transmitted to the atria and down to the ventricles (the lower chambers of the heart).  http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9741

I'm not sure if it's the same, but I have costochondritis.  It is basically inflammation of the cartilage between the rib cage.  Mine tends to flare up periodically.  It is very tender to the touch and pretty uncomfortable.  Do you have pain near your rib cage?

QUOTE; "... I have had an EKG which says bradycardia with marked sinus arrthymia, left axis deviation, pattern in V1 suggests right ventricular conduction delay, non specific T wave abnormality and abnormal EKG".

The most probable underlying cause for the abnormal EKG is hypothyroidism and that should be ruled out as well as AN ELECTROLYTE IMBALANCE.  Hypothyroidism causes slowing of the metabolic rate and affects almost all bodily functions, including heart rate and contractility. It causes similar slowing of electrical conduction throughout the heart. This would explain bradycardia, and right ventricular conduction delay as well as non-specific T wave abnormality.

"The most common electrocardiographic changes associated with hypothyroidism are sinus bradycardia, a prolonged QT interval, and inverted, non-specific T-wave or flat T waves. Most hypothyroid patients will have a low to normal heart rate (about 50-70 beats/min). Patients with severe hypothyroidism and those with pre-existing heart disease may also develop increasing degrees of heart block or bundle branch block (especially right bundle branch block). Conduction abnormalities due to hypothyroidism resolve with thyroid hormone therapy."
The T wave represents ventricular (the bottom of the heart) repolarization (return to electrical baseline) which corresponds to a return to precontracted state. What does a nonspecific T-wave change mean? IT IS VERY OVERUSED TERM THAT OFTEN MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

For some insight: the T wave is supposed to be within a certain number of little squares high and a certain number of little squares long to be called "normal". If your T wave falls outside these "normal limits" (it is longer/shorter, taller/shorter) , it is labled "abnormal". If the T wave is just on the border of being "normal" they lable it "non-specific". Sometimes it can appear upside down, this would be an example of "non specific" changes. The causes of your T wave to change from "normal" are countless. Sometimes your electrical pathway takes a different path which causes your EKG bumps and waves to look different.

Also, the T wave is very unstable and many normal changes can effect it such as hyperventilation, and mineral shifts in your blood. In other words it is a mild abnormality that cannot be specifically attributed to one condition.
Oh yes my rib cage was SO hurty that is waht really sent me to the doctor.
I think my heart has alwayts been slow, used to be an athlete of sorts (ha ha) but really I did a lot and in my younger years heart was slow. Why would it speed up now right?
To all: please excuse my typing, I can spell I just cannot type. :)
You are very kind to tell me so much and I truly have gratitude for you doing that.
I am a lightworker and any of you that need energy work at any time, or your friends, please just ask.
Namaste
chanda
Yep, that's the pain!  Around my ribcage gets really, really sore.  It's like something is wrapped tight around my chest over the rib area.  It really hurts!  I have been able to get relief during flareups with Ibuprofen, so maybe you can ask your doctor if he/she thinks that could help you also.  

I don't know why your heart rate is speeding up at times, but I know quite a few members of the forum have the same experience.   As Kenkeith mentioned, an electrolyte imbalance or endocrine (thyroid) fluctuation could be the reason for the abnormal EKG reading.  Also, hormonal fluctuations are notorious for throwing things out of whack.  Once the doctor has all of the test results, he/she will have a much clearer idea of what's going on, or not going on.  Be sure to let us know what you find out from the tests.  

Hey, your spelling and typing are fine : )   Hang in there!  
connie