Heart Disease Expert Forum
Questionable Apical Wall Motion Abnormality

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Hi Doc,

Thanks for answering my question yesterday.  I am a bit concerned about a result noted in my ECG regarding apical wall motion abnormality.  I first thought the results were normal, but now am not sure.  I see my PCP on 9/2.  I'm not currently under the care of a cardiologist.  Should I be?

40 yr old female, 5'9" 195 lbs, right handed, smoker, high cholesterol/triglycerites, low HDL, chronic pain, DDD, c-spine stenosis, protruding lumbar discs, upper back spasms/attacks.

Echo report:

Quantitative data: left atrium 38, aortic root 26, left ventricle (ED) 49, left ventricle (ES) 35, left ventricular posterior wall thickness 9, interventricular septum 9.

Overall, left ventricular size and function was normal, but in some views it appeared that the apex was somewhat hypokinetic. The left atrium and aorti root were unremarkable. The aortic valve was without stenosis or insufficeincy. There was only mild mitral regurgitation; trivial triscupid regurgitation. There are no masses, vegetations or thrombi seen. There is no effusion.

results:
Normal left ventricular size; normal systolic function with a questionable apical wall motion abnormality. Mild mitral reguritation. Trivial tricuspid regurgitation.
Perdido,

Thanks for the followup. The wall motion abnormality was seen on your echocardiogram, an ecg is the paper printout you get from the electical activity of the heart.

Wall motion abnormalities on echocardiogram are areas of the heart that do not beat well or at all. They can signifyareas that have been damaged by a heart attack, or areas that do not beat well for other reasons.  To be able to describe a wall motion abnormality it is important to be able to see the walls clearly. You describe a questionable abnormality in an area of the heart that isn't always clearly seen by echocardiography especially in women or obese patients and in the setting of the sypmtoms you described yesterday its hard ot know exactly what to make of it.  For now I would sit and discuss all of your testing with your internist.  When you start having alot of test by alot of specialist it's worthwhile having a single person run point to keep things in perspective, a good interist is an important person to you given your medical problems.

hope this is a start
Thanks Doc!!