Heart Disease Expert Forum
R on T PVC

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

R on T PVC

My internist recently recommended I have a cardiolite stress test based on the fact that I am 44yrs old, 50lbs overweight, out of shape and my father died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 49.  My cholesterol is 210 and the "good" cholesterol was 35.  Today my BP is 132/95 (but it has been as high as 155/100 recently).  I do drink scotch and love diet coke with caffeine.

The cardiologist told me, "the stress test was fine, the cardiolite was fine, the thallium scan was fine.  Eat less, drink less, give up the diet coke and exercise more and you will be just fine."  I was thrilled with those comments and my hypochondriacal tendencies were put at ease.

In the cardiologist's more detailed report to my internist, he added, "There were 4 PVCs during the 8 minute duration, with one R on T".  Because of this comment (which the cardiologist did not highlight or draw attention to in any way) my internist now has me wearing a Holter Monitor, wants me to have an echocardiagram and wants to send me to a cardia arrythmia specialist.  He also advised me not to exercise until "we make certain this is nothing to worry about."

When I asked my internist if I should be panicking, very worried, etc., he said, "Don't worry about this in the least, I just want to make certain there is nothing to worry about."  He indicated that normally "R on T" PVCs are only seen in old men with bad hearts.  (My hypochondriasis went through the roof with this comment).

Is the "R on T" something I should be worrying about?  I will do everything my internist recommends,
Dear Duane,

Your internist is providing you with the absolute best work up for this.  R on T is when the heart has electrical activity in a particularly vulnerable time that in some cases may lead to arrhythmias.  It is important to rule out other underlying disease as you internist is doing to make certain that they is nothing to worry about.

you sound like you're in excellent hands!