Heart Disease Expert Forum
RV Angiogram Vs Cardiac MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

RV Angiogram Vs Cardiac MRI

I have a couple of questions regarding the reliability of the RV angiogram and Cardiac MRI.

1 - Which test is considered more reliable -- A cardiac MRI or a RV angiogram?
2 - Can the normal findings of an RV angiogram overrule the abnormal findings
of a cardiac MRI?
3 - Can having frequent PVC's during the angiogram result in overlooking possible abnormalities?
4 - Who is better trained to interpret a Cardiac MRI -- An EP or a Senior
Cardiac MRI reader?

Thanks for your time!
1.  It depends on what you are looking for.  Generally, however, the MRI is much better in defining cardiac anatomy and cardiac function.  It may also identify conditions such as ARVD or scarring, etc.
2.  As long as the technical quality of the MRI is good, the MRI is probably the more reliable test.
3.  Having frequent PVC's can make the interpretation of the RV angiogram difficult.
4.  Generally speaking, the senior cariac MRI reader should be more experienced in reading MRI's than an EP.
Thank you for your response to the questions. I had a Cardiac MRI (With ARVD protocol).  The report stated localized RV anyuerysms located on the RV freewall. I then had an RV angiogram which came back completely normal.  Now my cardiologist believes I never actually had an aneurysm, but rather just a normal variant.  Should I feel cofident and comfortable with this explanation?
Thank you for your response to the questions. I had a Cardiac MRI (With ARVD protocol).  The report stated localized RV anyuerysms located on the RV freewall. I then had an RV angiogram which came back completely normal.  Now my cardiologist believes I never actually had an aneurysm, but rather just a normal variant.  Should I feel confident and comfortable with this explanation?
I had an MRI and read by one of the best Radiologist in the country. (I believe he is with Cleveland Clinic now) My report scard the heebers out of me and to this day I do not understand it.  It did show scarring where an Old MI occured. My angiograms NEVER showed the heart attack or scarring.  Some doctors do not think well of cardiac MRI's and others rely heavily on them.  Make sure your doctor has great communciation with the cardiac radiologist reading these films and that YOU thoroughly understand what is being seen.  I tried to get my referring doctor to set up a meeting with the radiologist that read my MRI but he would  not do this.  I have since fired him.  Good Luck To You.