Heart Disease Expert Forum
RVSP?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

RVSP?

I recently had an echo done with an RVSP of 36 mmHg.  I'm a single mom and scared to death that I could have pulmonary hypertension.  I went in for heart palpitations and dizziness. The ENT thinks the dizziness is due to peripheral vertigo. The cardiologist did not seemed concerned and just said that he wanted me to come back in 1 year for another echo. I'm 33 years old, 5'7" and about 160 pounds. Up until a few weeks ago, I worked out 2-3 times a week, went on bike rides, etc. with no difficulty. The fear is almost paralyzing.

1.  Should I insist on further testing for PH?
2.  Are there other factors that point to or from a diagnosis of PH?
3. Does this indicate PH?

Here are the rest of the echo results:
Aortic root 3.1 cm
Left atrium 2.8 cm
Right ventricle 2.0 cm
Interventricular septum 0.8 cm
Posterior wall 0.7 cm
Left ventricle in systole 2.6 cm
Left ventricle in diastole 3.9
Left ventricular ejection fraction estimated to be 70%

The aortic valve was trileaflet with normal peak aortic systolic velocities. V-max was 1.5 m/s, peak gradient of 8.9 mmHg, mean gradient of 5 mmHg, no aortic insufficiency.

Minimal mitral valve prolapse involving the anterior leaflet of the mitral valve with trace of mitral insufficiency.  No evidence of mitral stenosis. V-max was 1.0 m/s, peak gradient of 4 mmHg, mean gradient of 2mmHg, P 1/2 T 82 ms.
Mild tricuspid insufficiency with mild pulmonary hypertension and right ventricular systolic pressure of 36mmHg.  Overall well preserved left ventricular systolic function with left ventricular ejection estimated to be 70%. No evidence of segmental wall motion abnormalities.

Everything else appeared normal.
2 Comments
Blank
With an RVSP of 36 you have borderline PH. They will check it at least
once a year to see if its gone up, unless you develop symptons necessitating
an earlier app. You should see a pulmonary Dr.  I see one because mine
is 51 and I have an uncorrected heart defect. I hope this has been of some
help.
Blank
Do you have PH? Do you know what the life expectancy is?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank