Heart Disease Expert Forum
Rapid Heartbeat

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Rapid Heartbeat

I understand that the normal Beat of the Heart is somewhere around 72 beats per minute. My heartbeat is always at 90 or above. Is this normal or is there something I should check into. Is this just a high metobolic rate or is there a problem with my heart??

_
Dear Eiland,
Any heart rate between 60 and 100 beats per minute is normal.  Of course, with
any exertion, exercise or stress, one would expect the rate to increase above
100bpm.  Well trained athletes have very low heart rates at rest (less than 60bpm)
and this is also normal because their hearts are so efficient.  So it is possible
that you are a little deconditioned with a resting heart rate in the 90s, however
it is in the normal range anyway so the possibility that nothing is "wrong" is the most likely scenario.
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for
general purposes only. Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.
Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!