Heart Disease Expert Forum
Rapid Pulse/shortness of breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Rapid Pulse/shortness of breath
My wife, a healthy woman 40 years old, has the above symptoms.  Occasionally she also experiences dizziness, and often tightness in the chest.  The tightness she describes as similar to congestion, as from a cold.

She recently recovered from pneumonia, about 5 weeks ago.  3 weeks ago she thought the pneumonia was still causing shortness of breath and sensitivity to extreme temperatures so she went to her doctor.  He said there is no pneumonia, asthma, etc. in the lungs but noticed a high pulse.  

After testing for thyroid, anemia and getting negative results, he has her on buspirone.  She's only taken it for a little less than 3 weeks, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

What other things should we be checking?
Thanks for your help!
Dear Doug,

I would consider a cardiac work up including a stress test and perhaps an echo cardiogram.  The other test to consider is a holter monitor to clarify what these "spells" are.

Your physician has treated this as anxiety, which it may well be, however, it is always best to rule out possible underlying cardiac causes when dizziness and chest pressure are reported.