Heart Disease Expert Forum
Rapid heart beat , cough and dizzy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Rapid heart beat , cough and dizzy

Hey, I have a couple of questions and hopefully someone can help me a little, so I am a male 21 years old, I play sports and stuff but in the last month in one of my volleyball practices I got a horrible feelings, I couldn't breath good, my heart rate was so fast and weird I was fast as a train but I wasn't tired, and I start coughing, I went to my doctor he did some blood work and stuff and everything was fine, he just told me that the day i went to do the test I got my blood sugar level low but I think cause i didn't eat before doing the blood work, anyways he told me I was fine but today at practice the same thing happen, In the middle of the practice after jumping my heart like jump out of my chest and the funny feeling in my throat and coughing and couldn't breath oh and also dizzy, the first time this happened to me, people call the ambulance , this time even thoe I couldn't breath I just stay calm and didn't panic to much and my heart went back to normal, can some help with some suggestions I don't have insurance and doctor is so expensive and this is really getting me so stress , cause I am no going to be able to play,
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hidalgo,
Sorry to hear you have been having trouble.  It is difficult to know exactly what is going on in your situation without knowing a bit more about you and being able to see you in person.  I can, however, provide you some straight forward advice regarding working this problem up.  From a cardiovascular standpoint, there are a couple of things that you would certainly want to rule out. Your symptoms may be coming from an abnormal heart rhythm or from a structural problem in the heart.  An abnormal heart rhythm can be easily ruled out by doing an EKG and/or wearing a Holter monitor (a continuous EKG) for 1-2 days.  Structural problems in the heart (like a thickened heart caused by hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or valve problems) can be ruled out with an ultrasound (echocardiogram) of the heart.  If I were your doctor, I would suggest starting with both of these tests.  Hopefully you can work with your physician to find some way to evaluate these problems.  Anxiety and exercise induced asthma can cause similar symptoms during exercise and are less severe of problems then the cardiac ones listed above.  I hope you can get to the bottom of this soon.