Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Secundum ASD

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Secundum ASD

Dear Dr

My mother has been diagnosed with ASD Heart Problem. She is 65 years old, has a hole of size 4mm, with
       moderate left to right shunt. The secundum defect is quite low in the IAS.  She has experienced fainting episode
       twice within last 9 years , head ache, minor dizziness and some time heart palpitation.

The cardiologist has not made any decision regarding closing the hole yet.

I have read a lot of informationon Google relating to hole in heart (ASD).

I need your advice and guidance on following question I have:

1.  Should the hole in the heart be closed via Catherine procedure and does age matter?
       2.  At 65 years old is it safe to have Catherine procedure?
       3.  How safe is it to use device and its long term safety. Does body reject the device, harm the heart,create
           rhythm problem or any other problem?
       4. Does body tissue grow around the device at this age?
       5. Please advice which device is the best?

1.  It's not the age that matters, rather the location of ASD.  If there is a lip to catch on to around the ASD then a catheter based repair is feasible and preferable.  If on the other hand, there isn't a circumferential lip around the opening, surgical closure would be indicated.  The fainting episodes are concerning and should be worked up further paying special attention to her conduction system in the heart.
2.  It's safe at 65 or older.
3.  The body does not reject the device.  The implant procudure is relatively simple and the risk of dislodgement in extremely low.  Long term data is very good.  There is a small risk of arrhythmia post implant which may be treated with meds or an ablation procedure.
4.  Body tissue grows around the device.
5.  sorry, didnt' realize there was one more question.  We use the amplatzer closure device here at the Cleveland Clinic.  
Dear Dr

Thanks for your replay.

I do have some more question for which I need your  advice:

1.  I have read that when children go thought the catheter procedure to close ASD, after recovery  body tissue grow around the device. Is it possible for adults?

2.  If  a person has neurological problem does this influence the decision to do the closure procedure or these fainting episodes affect her having the treatment to close the hole in her heart.

Thanks for your advice and support.