Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: 7 year old chest pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: 7 year old chest pain

Posted By sandra on May 22, 1999 at 10:30:30
My nephew is 7 years old and has been complaining of chest pain.  He
points directly to his heart and says it hurts, describing the pain as
if bugs were crawling (tingling, perhaps?) and then his chest feels like
its cracking.  He sometimes gets out of breath on exertion and other times
can run around with no problem.  When he says his heart hurts, my sister
says it looks like his heart is beating out of his chest. He is a real little guy - 39 lbs. Was tested as an infant (stomach biopsy) to make sure his body wasn't having problems absorbing nutrients and that came out ok.  He has in the last year developed a terrible intolerance to heat, overheats easily. My sister took him to his doctor yesterday.  The nurse practioner said she didn't hear anything "odd" with his heart, but was more concerned
about his lack of growth and ordered blood tests to rule out kidney disease
and a thyroid condition (which I have graves disease, so its in the family.)  If those blood tests don't show anything they will then do an ekg on him.  My question is - do you have any suggestions or thoughts?  Apparently the nurse practioner felt his heart pain wasn't of real concern at this point.  My sister however has really noticed a decrease again in his activity level at times, heat intolerance, pounding heart.  Also at 7 years old he hasn't lost any teeth yet.  He has two younger brothers and while they too are small they are still keeping up on the charts.  Any thoughts or direction would be great.  Should my sister insist on immediately taking him to a cardiologist?