Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Afib in pediatrics

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Afib in pediatrics

Posted By Chris  on May 19, 1999 at 15:31:21
My 11 y/o son was recently diagnosed with Afib.  He was first diagnosed with WPW when he was 10 days old.  Just recently he went for an ablation, but during the procedure they could not get him into svt, but rather afib.  We have been told that he no longer show WPW on his ekg, and that he does have AFib.  
He is currently on Atenolol, but continues to have episodes of Afib, which bring on the symptoms of chest pains, nausea, dizziness, and profuse sweating.  These episodes can last up to 15-20 minutes.  We have been attempting to record one on an event recorder, but have been unsuccessful to date. My son has no underlying heart disease, and no problems with his thyroid.
I really hope you can help me.  I have looked everywhere on Afib in children, but have been unsuccessful. His cardiologist admits that he has never had a case of Afib before.  
Our hmo has told us that we are no longer able to see the cardiologist my son has had since birth, and I am looking for any information that may help with my appeal.
Thank you so much for all your help- Chris

Posted By Concerned health care worker on May 19, 1999 at 18:56:17
Sue the HMO, call the news, write an article.  Don't let them dictate the way your son is treated.
I'm a health care worker, and I am so tired of seeing patients get denied the best treatment or doctor because of their HMO doesn't find it cost effective in the long run. I don't mean to scare you.  Just don't stand for it.  And if you have no choice, at least embarass them by exposing them.  

Posted By Gail on May 20, 1999 at 10:42:06
What exactly is AFib?  My son was diagnosed with WPW at age 12, he is now 16.  He could not tolerate atenonol due to bradycardia.

Posted By melissa on May 20, 1999 at 17:26:18
I was just wondering what wpw was and how is it diagnosed

Follow Ups: