Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Aortic Root Dilation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Aortic Root Dilation

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on September 01, 1998 at 11:51:15:

In Reply to: Aortic Root Dilation posted by Jay on August 31, 1998 at 00:48:01:

_____

Dear Jay, thank you for your question.  You ask many difficult questions regarding your prior surgery and your current problems which are hard for me to answer because I don't have all the information from your current tests and I haven't examined you. Additionally, this forum is for general responses only.  Having said that, I'll try to elaborate on aortic root dilation for you.  Aortic root dilation occurs frequently with aortic valve disease (aortic stenosis and aortic regurgitation) and relates to altered blood flow in the proximal aorta caused by the valve disease.  With aortic stenosis, blood is more forcefully ejected from the left ventricle to get past the obstruction in the aortic valve.   The increased pressure in the proximal aorta and the altered blood flow from the left ventricle can dilate the aortic root.  I don't know exactly how common this is, but after aortic valve replacement, the aortic root enlargement often does not regress.  Vigorous physical exercise did not cause this problem.  I can't answer questions about the mortality/complications of an expected redo surgery; only a surgeon can do that.  Your cardiologist sounds correct and it would be unusual for him to know the details of your prior surgery since most cardiologists do not go to the operating room when their patients are undergoing open heart surgery.  Thus, your original surgeon would be a good physician to start with and you could seek a second opinion from another surgeon if you so desired. However, your original surgeon would be much more familiar with your aortic anatomy than a new surgeon. I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only. Only your physician can determine accurate diagnoses and prognosis.