Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Aortic Valve Replacement

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Aortic Valve Replacement

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on January 07, 1999 at 10:32:44:

In Reply to: Aortic Valve Replacement posted by PA on January 06, 1999 at 22:20:00:

I've been told I need aortic valve replacement surgery. I have had two previous bypass surgeries. My cardiologist has recommended an out of state surgeon who he says specializes in high risk surgery of this nature. I checked the hospital and found that it was quite small compared to Cleveland Clinic where my previous operations were performed.
I have some hesitation going to a hospital that is small and where several hundred as opposed to several thousand operations are performed.
I wonder about the support capability and whether a surgeon shouldn't have the experience gained by performing a large number of these operations a year. Would I be better off getting a second opinion as to where I should have this operation?
Thank you.

Dear PA, since you had your previous bypass surgeries here and since our cardiac surgeons are very experienced in performing in second and third open heart surgeries, I think you should be evaluated to have your aortic valve replacement here at the Cleveland Clinic.  To do so, I suggest that you call the phone number below and ask to be connected to the office of the surgeon who performed your prior surgeries.  
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.  Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.