Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Arm tingling and chest pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Arm tingling and chest pain

Posted By Sean  (england) on August 04, 1999 at 15:53:32
I'm a 24 year old male and about a year ago just as I was going to bed I had a tingling sensation in my lower left arm, and I started to panic, almost hyperventilating.  I went to the doctors the next day and had my heart listened to and my blood pressure taken, they could find nothing, about 6 months ago I had palpitations so I went to the doctor who listened to my heart/lungs and took my blood pressure and told me I had a condition called ventricular ectopics which he said was normal and that quite a number of the population had it, throughout the year I have been having a tingling sensation in my lower left arm which comes and goes...if i feel anxious it's there, also for about 6 years I have had some chest pain throughout both my left and right side, sometimes when I move sometimes when I am resting (especially after vigourous cardio vascular exercise) I still get some chest pain, the doctor can't find anything wrong.  Do you have a suggestion as to why I am having these pains and the tingling (I also have had some shoulder pain which manifests itself if I do shoulder rolls during my exercise routine)  My father has a recent medical and  he is okay. I am slightly overweight, am i right to worry or can my pains simply be caused by anxiety attacks?

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on August 04, 1999 at 18:13:38
Dear Sean
I am not sure what is causing your symptoms. Anxiety is high on the list of possibilities. The fact that you have had these symptoms for so long and nothing bad has happened to you may mean that it is nothing serious. However, it is possible that the arm numbness is form a pinched nerve - a neurologist would be able to determine this. It is also possible that you are having arrhythmia, and that this is what causes the anxiety episodes - a cardiologist would be able to evaluate this possibility with some simple testing.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Follow Ups:

Arm tingling and chest pain sean (england) 8/05/1999
(2)

Re: Arm tingling and chest pain CCF CARDIO MD -  DLB 8/05/1999
(1)

Arm tingling and chest pain Sean  (england) 8/09/1999
(0)