Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Atenolol - exercise - heart rate
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Atenolol - exercise - heart rate

Posted By Doug on October 30, 1998 at 08:28:00:

In Reply to: Re: Atenolol - exercise - heart rate posted by CCF CARDIO MD - CRC on October 29, 1998 at 23:34:34:

I take Atenolol 100 mg daily. Everything is fine with this. I am going to buy a treadmill (with a Polar heart rate monitor) and exercise daily for 30 min or so with my pulse at, say, 120. I'm worried that the Atenolol will effect my heart rate increase due to exercise. In other words the Atenolol will prevent a normal increase in rate. Should I be concerned.
PS: my BP in normal, I have no other medical problems etc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Doug,
I have several questions for you.  Why do you take the atenolol?  What is you resting heart rate?  What is you concern if you are unable to reach your target heart rate?
Hello Doctor: I'm age 57 and have been taking Atenolol for a long time (maybe 20 years or so) to treat mild :) hypertension which was I think about 150/105 when I started the drug (other drugs had no effect at that time).
My resting rate is 68. I guess my main concern is that I might be 'in danger' if I exercise to hard when the Atenolol is trying to prevent the heart from speeding up. Your answers here have been reasurring. I won't worry so much about the heart rate but will exercise and keep at a COMFORTABLE level.
I think I'll buy a basic treadmill, without heart rate monitor, that way I can spend extra on the construction of the machine....
Cheers

I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.