Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Beta Blockers & Pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Beta Blockers & Pregnancy

Posted By Debbie on August 01, 1999 at 16:12:34
I am 33 years old and have been on Sectrol for almost two years now, due to neurocardiogenic syncopi.  I consulted a Perinatalogist at the beginning of my pregnancy and was told that the medication had NO contraindications in pregnancy and that there was no reason for me to stop taking it, even on a trial basis.
However, the last time I picked up my prescription, I noticed the attachment on the package said "Do not Breast-Feed while taking this medication".  I can't imagine not breast feeding (#1) and if it's bad for a baby once born, why isn't it bad for a baby "in utero"?
I will meet with my Electrophysiology Cardiologist next month and will discuss this again with her (I have a Pacemaker too, but it's been turned off since the beta blockers work), but I would really welcome some additional input on the subject.
Thank you very much,
Debbie

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on August 02, 1999 at 14:00:07
Dear Debbie
These are always difficult questions for doctors as well as expectant mothers. I have safely used beta-blockers in pregnant women, when the benefits of medication outweighed the risks. Beta blockers are considered reasonably safe in pregnancy, but there is an increased risk of adverse fetal outcomes, such as slowing of the fetal heart rate. Certainly you should discuss the issue with your electrophysiologist and see how necessary the medication is in your case.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Follow Ups: