Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Bicuspid Aortic Valve
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Bicuspid Aortic Valve

Posted By Tina on June 18, 1999 at 15:20:31
I am a 31 year old female with a Bicuspid Aortic Valve and previous coartation repair as a child.  I, of course, have aortic stenosis at that site.  I was told as a child that I would probably have to have a valve replacement in my thirties.  I have been experiencing some mild chest pain, lightheadedness (with mild exercise) and slight nausea with this.  All of these symptoms are off & on.  I was never told what the symptoms would be if this bicuspid valve and aortic stenosis should become a problem. Could you tell me if I should be concerned or not, and what the symptoms I may experience might be.

Related Discussions
0 Comments
Blank
Posted By Hank Eyring on June 23, 1999 at 13:32:57
Hi Tina,
You and have a bit in common.  I am 32 and also had a Bicuspid aortic valve until 3 months ago.  (It had to be replaced with a mechanical valve)  I also had some of the problems you are experiencing, namely the lightheadedness.  Don't be alarmed though, my main problem was that I got a blood infection that infected my valve and damaged it.
I just wanted you to know that even a worse case scenario of having your valve replaced is not the end of the world..  I was quite discouraged when I found out that I needed the surgery.  Now, 3 months after valve replacement, I feel better than I have felt in many years, I am back to work, running miles per day on the treadmill and playing racquetball several times a week.  These things were not possible before.  The surgery was not as bad as I thought it would be.
I hope this will help you if you are faced with replacement surgery...

Follow Ups:

Bicuspid Aortic Valve Ronnie 7/04/1999
(0)

Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity