Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: COREG SIDE EFFECTS-FATIGUE

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: COREG SIDE EFFECTS-FATIGUE

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on March 02, 1999 at 10:39:19:

In Reply to: COREG SIDE EFFECTS-FATIGUE posted by REX DALE SMITH on February 28, 1999 at 13:01:56:

I HAD TO STOP TAKING COREG BECAUSE OF THE SIDE EFFECT OF FATIGUE
THAT WAS CONSTANTLY PRESENT. DURING THE INITIAL PHASING IN OF
COREG I HAD SEVERE PROFOUND FATIGUE. THE SEVERITY FINALLY DECREASED
BUT NEVER TO AN ACCEPTABLE LEVEL.
THE INFORMATION ON THE DRUG LISTS FATIGUE AND TIRENESS AS SIDE
EFFECTS BUT SUGGESTS THAT IT IS NOT SIGNIFICANT.
IS THERE INFORMATION ON THIS SIDE EFFECT OR OTHERS THAT HAVE HAD
TO STOP TAKING COREG BECAUSE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS OUT WEIGHTING
ANY BENEFIT?
THANK YOU,
REX DALE SMITH

Dear Rex, thank you for your question.  If you were so fatigued when taking Coreg, then you obviously could not continue with the medication.  However, the other medications that you may already be taking (ACE inhibitor, diuretic, digoxin) work well for the treatment of heart failure.  I can't find any incidence rates of this side effect of Coreg, but as you can see by the responses to your question, others have experienced the same problem.  

I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.  Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

1 Comment
A related discussion, Cardiomyopathy was started.