Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Chest Discomfort

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Chest Discomfort

Posted By CCF Cardio MD-SGM on January 05, 1998 at 13:35:01:

In Reply to: Chest Discomfort posted by John on January 03, 1998 at 23:20:22:

: For the past six weeks I have experienced "pressure" in the left side of my chest
It comes and goes but is present a good bit of the time; unrelated to physical
activituy.  Infrequently, there will be pain
in my upper left arm, and I can recall one bout of very light dizziness.
I am 46 years old, workout with weights regularly, 6'3", 190lbs, i.e. in pretty
good shape.  I continue to workout about 4 times a week on weights for an hour at
a time.
I also have Mitral valve prolapse and take antibiotics with dental procedures.
Is this related to MVP or is it something more serious??
Thanks for your input!

Dear John,
The principle concern here is whether this pain is arising from the heartangina, or not.  In the evaluation of this pain, it is reassuring to know that it is unrelated to physical activity.  Also, the fact that it is present "a good bit of the time" speaks against cardiac pain, and points to a musculoskeletal or other source.
Its also important to assess your risk factor profile for coronary artery disease.  Things like family history, smoking, high blood pressure and diabetes would place you at higher risk of developing coronary artery disease and associated angina.  Finally, MVP is itself associated with "atypical" chest pain syndromes that are annoying, but not due to serious cardiac disease.  
It might be helpful to discuss these symptoms with your doctor and decide whether it would be prudent to perform a treadmill stress test.   This test would help significantly in sorting out the source of this pain, and will likely serve to reassure you.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be prescribed by your physician.