Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Ejection fraction ?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Re: Ejection fraction ?

Posted By Nancy on July 22, 1999 at 11:28:07
What kind of ejection fraction does the "normal, healthy-hearted" person in their 40's have?  
Mine was 65 after the stress test and they said anything over 50 is OK.  Can that be improved as I begin to control my weight and increase my exercise or is this now as good as it gets?
Thanks!

Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on July 22, 1999 at 12:10:13
Dear Nancy
An ejection fraction of 65% is completely normal. It does not need to improve, nor will it. A high ejection fraction, say 80%, is actually abnormal, as is a very low ejection fraction. Many patients are mistakenly believe that the ejection fraction should be 100%, but this is wrong. You should control your weight and exercise for a number of other reasons, though.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Blank
Posted By Diane on July 23, 1999 at 01:43:48
Can you please explain the relationship between a coronary blockage and the ejection fraction. I ask because my husband recently had a 95% blockage of a coronary artery, yet his ejection fraction was 65%. In view of this, I wonder if it was appropriate that an angioplasty was performed.

Blank
Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on July 23, 1999 at 08:11:48
Dear Diane
Your husband's situation is not unusual. He had a severe blockage in his coronary artery that needed to be fixed. His ejection fraction was normal because he had not yet had a heart attack. Left untreated, the blockage would have likely caused a heart attack which would have subsequently affected his ejection fraction.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Blank
Posted By jan on July 23, 1999 at 10:21:57
You said an Ejection Fraction of 80% is bad news. What about 74%. They said it was normal. What does high and low Ejection Fraction mean.
Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Re: Ejection fraction ? CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 7/23/1999
(0)

Re: Ejection fraction ? Nancy 7/23/1999
(1)

Ejection fraction ? CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 7/23/1999
(0)

Blank
A related discussion, Ejection Fraction how to bring back up to normal was started.
Blank
A related discussion, 44% was started.
Blank
A related discussion, How to read my stress test was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank