Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Heart Murmur
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Heart Murmur

Posted By CCF Cardio MD-sk on September 20, 1997 at 13:35:21:

In Reply to: Heart Murmur posted by C.Ramirez on September 19, 1997 at 11:32:14:

: Hi, I am 20 years, I was diagnosed with having a heart murmur last year,
One docter wanted to operate right away, and another thought the so called
hole in my heart wasn't that large and that the thing we had to do is
monitor my heart to see if hole became larger.  I was wondering if there are
any new treatments for curing this, and what are my chances of living a long
healthy life without worrying about an operation.  Are there anythings I
should avoid doing or eating. I also was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid
and because of it I have very rapid palpitations, could this condition
have caused my heart murmur.
Thank You!

Dear Ramirez,
Hole in the heart can be of two major types, an atrial septal defect or a ventricular septal defect. Very small defects can be managed conservatively but the exact definition of  small should be very critically made. In the second type you should take antibiotics for any dental work etc. Both these types of defects are compatible with a very normal, long life if appropriately managed early. I would recommend that you see a pediatric cardiologist with special training in adult congenital heart problems. This would resolve the controversy of what should be done. The hyperactive thyroid can be the cause of a murmur (sound of turbulent blood flow) but not the cause of a hole in the heart.
If you want to see a adult congenital cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, an appointment can be arranged by calling (216) 444-6697.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only. Actual diagnosis and treatment of any particular medical condition can only be made by your family physician(s).